Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

hull strengthening membrane?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Meier20/12/2008 08:55:00
205 forum posts
81 photos

Hi. I am building my first scratch built boat, a tenth scale of a 7 meter Italian fishing trawler. It is balsa planks on ply frames. I have had to use a fair bit of filler over the planks in places to get the hull form right (this is my first attempt remember). The filler I chose for its ease of sanding and similar hardness to balsa is PAL contract filler, interior & exterior.

I would like to coat the hull with a strengthening membrane but am put off at the price of fibreglass cloth and resin. I have heard of people using tissue and dope (I assume it is paper tissue). Can anyone tell me of a low cost method that will put a bit more strength and durability into my hull? I would apreciate any helpful tips on how to apply the coating as well.

Regards.

David. 

Bob Abell20/12/2008 09:13:00
8342 forum posts
2558 photos

Hello David

I would recommend you cover the balsa with 300lb cartridge paper plates of scale proportions using PVA................. with Fibre glass resin on the inside

Have a look at my gallery..........Jeanie Deans at war..........that`s what I prefer!

Bob

David Meier20/12/2008 09:40:00
205 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks for the help Bob.

David.

60watt20/12/2008 15:31:00
253 forum posts
14 photos

Hi David.

I've used epoxy with fine woven glass cloth to give a near invisible tough layer.It does away with a lot of filling but it showed every flaw. Unlike a coat of paint, there is no going back after coating with glass.

Glass tissue soaked up a lot of resin and gave a very rough finish - no good.

I would advise you to go ahead and buy fine weave/epoxy and do experiments beforehand.You would probably use it on every model thereafter.

Tom

David Meier20/12/2008 21:33:00
205 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks Tom.

Where do you source the fine weave cloth? and do you have an ounce rating that I should specify? When I have looked in hardware stores and auto shops they only have a heavy grade of cloth or chopped strand matt.

David.

60watt20/12/2008 22:36:00
253 forum posts
14 photos

The only place I have seen it was my local model shop which stocked everything for model planes.It came as a Ripmax kit with a couple of metres of very fine translucent silk like cloth and 3:1 mix 24 hour epoxy.I think the wholesaler description was a "skin preparation" kit. An aeroplane forum would locate some.

A square yard left weighs 12 gram - on a par with glass tissue

I have used paper tissue with dope as well but it does not even begin to compare with possible finish or strength. I repeat the "experiment first"

Tom

60watt20/12/2008 22:45:00
253 forum posts
14 photos

See page six

It goes clear on wetting and can be re-laminated when tacky.

Tom

David Meier20/12/2008 23:27:00
205 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks Tom.

That looks like the way to go. I supose it is silly to skimp on this and compromise the model.

The PDF link is a good resource.

cheers.

David. 

60watt20/12/2008 23:36:00
253 forum posts
14 photos

For scale effects I'd stick with Bob's idea.At least you can start again if you din't like the results.

Keep trying with the radio.I found faults came into the obvious and simple-to-fix category.

Tom

David Meier21/12/2008 00:08:00
205 forum posts
81 photos

A smooth hull finish is what I am after so I will go with the fine glass cloth. As for the transmitter; not my strong point. I have looked closely with a magnifier and nothing stands out. Thanks for your help at least I have learnt something through the exercise.

cheers.

David.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor