Forum sponsored by Dremel

motors

us custom boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Hugh Connolly15/12/2008 14:50:00
48 forum posts
65 photos
hi looking for help,my daughter brought me a ready to go r/c american custom boat when she was in usa ,but when i took it to our local model club pond it would not work when other boats in pond.so last week took deck of and stripped all elec,out going to put speed controller and other elec  in,my problem is the boat has in rudder it had two motors for steering i am putting in two new motors,how do i get motors to control steering, thanks
60watt15/12/2008 15:40:00
253 forum posts
14 photos

Do you mean "no rudder" or in-board ?

My transmitters allow me to unscrew and rotate the sticks by 90 degrees.

Some transmitters can "mix" a throttle and rudder signal for the purposes of V-tail aircraft.

You can get a device to fit between receiver and servos and another speed controller or drive two motors with one controller and fit a rudder.

Tom

Hugh Connolly15/12/2008 16:00:00
48 forum posts
65 photos
yes i mean no rudder  sorry should have said that  the props controlled steering.i hade a servo .receiver and switch kit from other boat ,but as it  has no rudder i dont know if have to fit another receiver to work steering. thankstom
60watt15/12/2008 16:29:00
253 forum posts
14 photos

You could fit a rudder  and drive two motors with a single speed controller.

To control throttle on two motors you would need two speed controllers.Then get a transmitter that allows you to unscrew and rotate the rudder stick by 90 degrees to make two throttles OR do some surgery by adding resistors to mix the throttle and rudder sticks together (cost is pennies) OR use the mix option if the transmitter has one.

Tom

Hugh Connolly15/12/2008 19:32:00
48 forum posts
65 photos
thanks tom been sitting looking at it again, i was thinking .adding two rudders servo ,speed controller. and two recievers one for each motor ,or is it one reciever and two speed controllers,one for each motor ,.hugh
mick15/12/2008 20:14:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya hugh

what sort of space have you got in your hull because i was looking at one in u s a  same boat i 

think  there is not a lot of room  in the hull you will probably have to put the small servos in and

check on the set up for room for esc  and batterys  i would double rudder it as you said

hope this helps mick

Hugh Connolly16/12/2008 00:07:00
48 forum posts
65 photos
thanks mick there is plenty room in hull when u take every thing out. wat would be the right setup,two speed controllers or two recievers.  cheers hugh.
mick16/12/2008 15:49:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya hugh

it depends on the set up you require you can  get a single  speed controller now  that does the twin 

motors i think astec electronics do it not sure of the price i  do a couple of my boats on twin shafts 

and twin motors but run them on single speed  controller  but this depends on the setup you require

i have other boat s on twin esc but that is on 3 or four channel setup  as i said its all about price 

you are willing to spend and different motors esc and radio you are useing if you go to your local 

model shop they will advise you or better still your local boat they  are always happy to help if you ask 

the members hope this helps mick

60watt16/12/2008 16:13:00
253 forum posts
14 photos
Hugh,watt transmitters do you have?
ashley needham17/12/2008 06:48:00
7121 forum posts
206 photos
All . Yes good question....Do we take it that the boat works fine on its own but when other bods turn up and use their radios does yours then play up ?    Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Shrek
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor