Forum sponsored by Dremel

Coastal Motor Boat Replica

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop17/06/2022 18:03:59
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Here is something which you won't see too often, an upside down WW1 Coastal Motor Boat!

No 4 Boathouse at Portsmouth are restoring the original CMB 4 which served in WW1 and on secret operations in the Baltic afterwards where she sank the Bolshevik cruiser Oleg. The vessel is on loan from the Imperial War Museum. The Boathouse is currently constructing a full size replica and the hull is currently upside down while final shaping takes place. This gives the opportunity to admire the sculpted hull form and the 'step' which assisted planing. Not sure what wood they are using but it looked lovely!

I'm looking at suggesting an article on the Boathouse to Lindsey as I think it would appeal to a lot of modellers as:

• Vessels owned or being worked on include several very popular modelling subjects
  • Woodworking techniques are full size counterparts of how many of us build our own models using wood
  • Mixture of boats being worked on and operational vessels.
  • Lots of historical associations.

Colin

cmb4 replica.jpg

ashley needham17/06/2022 19:33:14
7640 forum posts
159 photos

Didn’t know they had a stepped hull?

Ashley

Colin Bishop17/06/2022 19:44:59
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Yes, we saw it at Chatham Ashley!

Would be nice to go back.

Colin

ashley needham18/06/2022 16:24:38
7640 forum posts
159 photos

Oo er.must check out me pics!

Ashley

Colin Bishop18/06/2022 17:21:28
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

I've got a close up of the step on the Chatham boat!

Colin

TonyM19/06/2022 12:23:12
2 forum posts
1 photos

Vic Smeed's Model Maker Manual has a photograph of a boat which puzzled me mightily until I read about CMBs

model maker manual - cmb river launch medium.jpg

John W E19/06/2022 16:11:44
302 forum posts
284 photos

Hi there, for anyone interested this link - hope it works - is to the build on British Military Powerboat Team website

I believe the timber used is Iroko wood and also it has been covered with an Epoxy Resin similar to the West System

**LINK**

John

Edited By John W E on 19/06/2022 16:14:29

Richard Simpson21/06/2022 09:35:15
1016 forum posts
256 photos

My CMB model that was made from a free plan in Marine Modelling International April 2008, built by Mr Keith Hayes.

p1090467.jpg

p1090468.jpg

27-09-09-14wiltonparktorpedolaunch32.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 21/06/2022 09:43:47

Andy Stone 123/06/2022 00:38:47
12 forum posts

Wasn't this CMB on display At Gosport at the southern end of the Pneumonia bridge years ago, Possibly in the 70s

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor