Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Tugboat Craig

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Barry Foote11/04/2009 18:27:41
161 forum posts
93 photos
I have today finished the glassing so the whole thing has been put aside for a few days before I start the sanding into a smooth finish...I hope!!
Barry Foote11/04/2009 18:29:31
161 forum posts
93 photos
The fully glassed hull
Yabbie120/04/2009 12:26:18
54 forum posts
14 photos
Barry's been quiet for a while... I hope the sanding hasn't got to him.
Barry Foote20/04/2009 18:51:20
161 forum posts
93 photos
Quiet says the man........Sanding, sandinmg and more sanding.......Not quite a quarter of the way through it. I knew it would be difficult, but did not expect it to be this hard......It will not beat me. I am determined to have a super smooth hull, so back to it tomorrow!!

Thanks for looking in Yabbie 1. Keep watching.. 
Yabbie121/04/2009 04:08:36
54 forum posts
14 photos
The sanding did take me about four hours, but I did it in one go and almost got to enjoy it.  Mind you, I don't get out much.  If it's proving a struggle, perhaps try a coarser grade of wet and dry such as 150 (I assume grits are the same there as in Australia) and finish off with 180-220.  Some people smear the whole hull with automotive spot putty (also known as stop putty or stopping) and then sand off, this will help if you have a lot of small low spots, but I don't think it's good to leave large areas of putty on the hull in case they crack off, perhaps years down the track.
Barry Foote21/04/2009 08:18:03
161 forum posts
93 photos
Yabbie 1,

Thanks for that. I have not tried using stopper for the reason you outline. That said, I think it will be needed in a couple of places a bit further down the line!! I will keep you posted 
Barry Foote27/04/2009 22:11:21
161 forum posts
93 photos
Still sandinga way at this hull. Sore fingers but getting there slowly. Will pop some pictures on when the dust settles down a bit!!
Barry Foote10/05/2009 10:57:48
161 forum posts
93 photos
A day to celebrate.....Applied first coat of primer, simply to highlight areas not quite up to the mark. I am delighted to say that it does not look too bad. There are one or two areas to apply a little more filler, mainly tiny holes in the glass fibre. I can now treat these areas and then prime it properly, before moving on to the next stage..

I knoe the primer ran, but I was more intent on getting the paint on rather than a good surface at this stage.
Barry Foote12/05/2009 11:01:35
161 forum posts
93 photos
Blimey I feel like I am galloping along now, having made up the card template for the deck. When I find the right wood, I will cut it out....Next running gear to look for.

Edited By Barry Foote on 12/05/2009 11:02:09

Barry Foote24/05/2009 18:52:11
161 forum posts
93 photos
Not much work done on the hull, apart from construction of a sub deck, as I have still not decided where to buy my prop and prop shaft from, so I got on with the stand, which has been finished with a little antique finishing oil. I also started a basic frame for the superstructure, but that is about it for now until I get hold of some more 1mm ply, shaft, prop and some figures...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor