By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Tugboat Craig

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Brown28/11/2008 20:04:00
2 forum posts
Is anybody building Tugboat Craig which appeared in the recent "Tugs and Warships" winter special edition of the magazine. I've just obtained the plans and started work yesterday. This is a first working model for me although I have done a static model so any help/ advice would be much appreciated.
Chris Nelson25/01/2009 13:38:15
1 forum posts
I am starting the Craig in a few days and have been reading the model boat magazine with the craig featured in its pages.  I don't understand however, how the bottom of the wheelhouse/engine house is made to curve to the same level as the deck???  I see it slips of the built in lip in the deck space but how do you get a good fit with the bottom o the deckhouse and the actual deck?

Chris.
Barry Foote23/03/2009 08:18:31
161 forum posts
93 photos
Hi Chaps,

I have just started building the Craig. I have the frames cut out and the base board marked up ready to take the frames. This is the first fibreglassing I will have ever done. 
Stephen,
I have built several working models, so just ask away.

Chris,

I am not quite sure, Inuderstand your question. Getting the lines right for a good fit is a matter of trial and error. try using a card template, cutting it down till you are happy with the profile and transfer this to the wood. 
Yabbie124/03/2009 04:31:07
54 forum posts
14 photos

G'day Chris, Barry and hopefully still Stephen,

Craig was my design and article so time permitting I should be able to answer queries on its construction.

Chris, once I had the basic deckhouse "wrap" I marked the highest point at the front of the wheelhouse, joined it in a smooth curve to the rear of the superstructure as per the plan, cut oversize and then carefully sanded to fit.  As Barry suggests, you could use a cardboard template first.  Take your time, a poor fit will detract from the model.  It is a smooth natural curve, so should not be too difficult to match.  Hope this helps.

John.

Peter Fitness24/03/2009 05:40:05
509 forum posts
215 photos
Barry, Stephen and Chris, please post some photos of your builds as they progress, as I also have that plan, and it appeals to me. I will follow your builds with interest.

Peter.
Barry Foote24/03/2009 08:05:10
161 forum posts
93 photos
Good morning Yabbie 1. Your design and article were excellent and inspired me to have ago at scratch building a hull for an RC model. It is good to know we have "The man" available to answer questions. By the way, I am sorry but I used the medieveil way of marking out the frames, using a compass point, I just found it easier....sorry.

Peter,

Watch this space ... 
Yabbie124/03/2009 10:13:03
54 forum posts
14 photos
Barry,

Your method of frame marking probably expains why my Craig has suddenly taken on a deathly pallor.....  but glad you liked the article.
Barry Foote25/03/2009 08:37:55
161 forum posts
93 photos
Okay a few early photos. Now don't cringe Yabbie 1...
Barry Foote01/04/2009 18:28:01
161 forum posts
93 photos
Planking has been done now and the hull removed from its board. I just need to do some finisheing, a little filling, sanding and then onto the glassing!!!!!
Yabbie101/04/2009 22:19:28
54 forum posts
14 photos
Nothing cringeworthy here Barry, you are making splendid progress.  I hope the others will be able to join in and provide mutual support as I can only check the forum out occassionally.  It is both gratifying and a little nerve wracking to see your creation being duplicated elsewhere!  Your weather should be getting a little warmer now for the glassing.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor