By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

bow thruster set up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Wayne Ledsham20/10/2021 00:00:38
2 forum posts

hi im just building the Muirneag from deans marines, and need help with the fitting plans of a bow thruster, diagram if possible its my first boat build,thanks

Richard Simpson20/10/2021 12:32:32
766 forum posts
371 photos

Hi Wayne and welcome to the forum. A lot will depend on the specific thruster unit you are looking at fitting although, having said that, the basic principles are basically the same. You might find it interesting to have a look through this thread for some guidance:

Thruster Installation

In all cases the initial concerns are getting the holes in the hull in the right places and of the right shape so I would start off with a solid piece of plastic pipe of the correct diameter. Place the hull in a stand so it is perfectly upright, put a spirit level across the bulwarks, and mount the pipe onto a block of wood at precisely the right height so it is perfectly level. Now trim the end of the pipe with knives and files to the right shape to snugly fit the hull in your preferred spot. You can then draw around the end of the pipe with a pen to give you the shape you need to cut out. Then turn the hull around and do the same with the other side while taking care not to disturb the hull in the stand and upset the position.

Once the holes have been cut out you should be able to slide the pipe right through the hull and see very little gap around the joint.

Once you have the holes cut you can then assemble the thruster into the pipe in the knowledge that the two holes in the hull will help you align the assembly perfectly.

Hopefully this will at least give you food for thought but that is how I would do it.

Wayne Ledsham21/10/2021 01:32:04
2 forum posts

Thanks Richard, this help alot hopefully I can put into practice. Cheers

ashley needham21/10/2021 18:11:20
7394 forum posts
159 photos

I would do it like that as well, but there would likely be a LARGE gap around the pipe!!

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor