Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Basic filler,sealing and primer question from a newbie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil John17/10/2021 18:03:03
3 forum posts

Hello,

Apologies, I realise that this has been asked and answered before but I seem to be confusing myself.

I am building an old Billing boats model; the Banckert. It is not going into the water but going to sit with the Zwarte Zee on the shelf. The Zwarte Zee was an ABS hull but the Banckert is wooden. I have completed the planking of the hull which I am relatively happy with.

However there are a few areas that need some filler. I am using Model Lite filler.

Would you recommend sealing the hull before using or after using filler?

I am wondering do you have to seal the filler before spraying primer? I would be using Sand 'n' Seal.

I have got myself in a muddle and confused so thought I should summon the courage to ask such a basic question?

I have just subscribed and been going through the back issues and going through the forum. WOW! Its a whole new world for me. I'm afraid I may catch the bug!

Thanks in anticipation

Colin Bishop17/10/2021 18:34:56
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Hi Neil,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, do the filling and get the hull smooth before using the Sand 'n Seal. Then use primer.

Colin

Richard Simpson17/10/2021 19:32:46
766 forum posts
371 photos

If you think about it, if you use the Sand 'n' Seal first the filler will not have as good a key into the surface when you are initially filling the larger gaps and low areas. So, as Colin says, do all the filling and sanding back to a smooth finish then put the Sand 'n' Seal over the filler to iron out the minor imperfections.

Don't forget to always use a block to support the sandpaper otherwise, if you hold it in your hands, your fingers will follow the contours and you will never get a smooth finish. If you are after a perfect surface, when you have finished give the hull a very light dusting of a different colour spray. So light it doesn't actually cover it. Then, if you give it a final rub with very fine Wet or Dry paper again held on a block, any low areas will stand out that might need a little bit more Sand 'n' Seal applying.

Neil John17/10/2021 20:07:58
3 forum posts

Thankyou both - I was thinking along the lines of Colin but made that rookie mistake of not using a block to support the sandpaper!

Thought I was being more gentle but makes perfect sense using a sanding block now. Such a simple mistake - Thankyou very much. Hope you can imagine my groan and smile of realisation!

ashley needham18/10/2021 09:34:29
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Don’t forget that primer or under coats are basically liquid fillers, and should be almost sanded off before applying the final undercoat (this final undercoat simply being a base for the topcoat colour).

A good thick undercoat is handy for filling hairline depressions if you want a mirror finish.

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor