Forum sponsored by Dremel

Portsmouth Dockyard October 2021

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop06/10/2021 19:48:05
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

As it was a nice sunny day, I visited Portsmouth Dockyard using my annual ticket and took the harbour cruise. As is often the case there was a variety of shipping on view including HMS Prince of Wales testing her emergency evacuation chutes. The photos in my album are a selection of the vessels I saw. Definitely 'a good day out'.

**LINK**

Colin

Prince of Wales bow view

HDML Medusa

Edited By Colin Bishop on 06/10/2021 20:01:19

Chris Fellows06/10/2021 19:59:24
1016 forum posts
666 photos

Nice bit of blue sky certainly makes a much better backdrop than washed out grey!

Chris

Richard Simpson06/10/2021 22:30:26
766 forum posts
371 photos

Last time I did that trip HMS Ark Royal, HMS Illustrious and HMS Invincible were all in together! We got married on board HMS Warrior so had a few good looks around at the time.

ashley needham07/10/2021 08:51:13
7394 forum posts
159 photos

It’s a shame they have had to put the stabilisers out on the POW. Perhaps it needs some torpedo bulges to help??

Ashley

Colin Bishop07/10/2021 10:34:05
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Ashley, they are offering 20 minute trips round the harbour in the little LCI for a tenner. I might have taken it up if was a fiver but the main Harbour cruise is free with the annual dockyard ticket to all attractions on both sides of the harbour which costs £38 for oldies and includes the Mary Rose again.

Colin

Paul T07/10/2021 11:30:58
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hello Colin,

Thank you for sharing your day out with us.

Paul

Ray Wood 207/10/2021 11:37:12
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi All,

Shame they couldn't afford a decent bow for the new carrier !! looks like its been effected by defence cuts

Also makes the older Ark Royal and Victorious look even better !!

Regards Ray

ashley needham07/10/2021 18:04:31
7394 forum posts
159 photos

I have wondered about the bow, but presumably they will have tested the ship in a wind tunnel, to get the right airflow across the deck so I suppose this is what they came up with??

Ashley

Richard Simpson07/10/2021 22:33:35
766 forum posts
371 photos

Ashley, bending 25mm steel plate to a specific compound curve is a very expensive process, which is why it is only used where absolutely necessary. In a hull this is only in areas that affect flow through the water, i.e. bow shape including the flare to part the waves, and flow through the propellers and around the rudders, i.e. stern frame.

Everything above the water is a lot less shape critical and so flat plate is used as much as possible in modern ship design. There is no value whatsoever in having the top of the bow shaped so I am sure that is simply why it is flat.

This is precisely why cruiser sterns disappeared many years ago to be replaced by transom sterns. Try to find a modern container ship with anything other than a completely flat stern. This is also why even cruise ships are a lot more 'box' shaped than they ever were to maximise the use of flat plate as well as maximise the internal volume available for cabins.

ashley needham08/10/2021 18:38:27
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Richard whereAS I can see where you are coming from, airflow over deck for an aircraft carrier is of vital importance (i would have thought) but it may be that there wasnt much difference viz a sexy rounded bow, so they made it flat to save a few bob??

They have not fitted the 4x 30mm guns either, probably another cost saving measure, so all it has is Vulcan CIWS, an item that has a very poor record for ship defence (in action as opposed to shooting at targets).

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor