By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Old sailing vessel, need help identifying type, rig, scale etc.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Gundersen03/09/2021 15:39:10
3 forum posts

Hi all, new to this forum so hope someone can help me.

I have gotten this sailing vessel from my dad to possably restore.

Would be happy for any help in identifying a similar vessel to use as a guide moving forward.

Help with type of vessel, type of rigging, rudder shape, any typical deck arrangements.

To the best of my knowlage this has been a childs toy and have been used as it many years ago(last time in the 1950).It has a lead keel and marks from copper weights also.

Is is probably buildt from between the 1870 to 1910, maby in the uk. It is 1,2m long and got 2 mast and 1 boom(i think) . Do not think the 3 mast hole has ever been used. Aft deck is missing and has probably covered the aft and 3rd mast hole.

Any info or sugestions are welcome.

Link to photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/m564HhBVtPawtFLe6

Thanks.

Edited By Colin Bishop on 04/09/2021 15:41:24

Colin Bishop04/09/2021 15:43:01
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

The link doesn't seem to work John.

Colin

John Gundersen04/09/2021 16:05:57
3 forum posts

Hi Colin.

Let try this one: Skute - Google Photos

It is a shared google photos album.

John.

Colin Bishop04/09/2021 16:19:59
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

That is certainly an interesting looking hull.

Colin

Paul T04/09/2021 16:28:43
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

With the three masts it could be a clipper

Colin Bishop04/09/2021 18:24:31
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

It is too beamy Paul, more like a coastal trader I think.

A photo of the underwater hull would be useful to see how deep it is and the keel arrangement.

Colin

Malcolm Frary04/09/2021 20:21:01
1040 forum posts

While it might be beamy for a particular clipper, there might be some useful stuff here -

http://mcjazz.f2s.com/ClipperShipPlans.htm

In all probability, there was a 3rd mast. Also a considerable bowsprit. The rudder would have been a tall, narrow and with parallel sides. Not really used for steering as much as for trimming direction once that had been determined by use of the sails after much shouting by the sail master and a lot of sweating by the crew. This aspect of the days of sail rarely makes it to the movies.

John Gundersen05/09/2021 20:25:32
3 forum posts

Thanks for the info. Looks very similar.

I have added some more photos in the album. The hull out of the cradle.

The green/red keel is a sheet of lead folded arroud keel.

Could it have been rigged as a 2 masted Scooner? there is 4 secureing points (dont know the english term for it as i am norwegian) for the masts on each side, none for the aft and 3rd mast? the clipper has 8-10 as far as i can tell.

I have not removed the deck yet but i think the hull is carved from one-piece log. The curve/barrel back shape at the stern follow the rings in the wood. Could this be a practical featrure for the carver that made it, not to copy a vessel type?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor