Forum sponsored by Dremel

Names

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Simpson20/08/2021 19:50:14
766 forum posts
371 photos

To start with:

What goes from Forward to Aft on the Port side and goes Aft to Forward on the Starboard side of a ship or boat?

Answer, The ship's name.

Which brings me to my question, has anyone ever come across a supplier of model ship's or boat's names? Say you supply the name and someone produces a name board either engraved or in relief etc?

Ray Wood 221/08/2021 17:14:38
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Richard,

Blackgates Engineering made me some nice photo etched name plates for a 3 1/2" gauge loco in brass

or you can make your own with Letraset on the brass plate with a painted margin around as a border and paint the back , dipped in Ferric Chloride solution for 20 minutes a couple of times, rinse and use paint stripper, this works quite well for some reason beyond me the chloride won't eat the paint !! but does like eating away the brass, fill in the etched area with paint and polish the face on a surface plate or a piece of glass with 1200 wet & dry paper.

It does work a treat.

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson22/08/2021 11:04:28
766 forum posts
371 photos

Thanks Ray, I hadn't thought of Blackgates. I've used them for steam spares in the past and they are very good. I have also made contact with a couple of wood engravers but I suspect my needs may be too small for them to handle. We shall see.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 22/08/2021 11:04:40

Malcolm Frary22/08/2021 22:01:30
1040 forum posts

When making printed circuits, the "etch resist" is basically paint. The etching solution is formulated to attack metal, usually copper, but it likes brass as well, but paint isn't metal, so is let alone by the etch solution. The result being a lower surface where the paint (resist) wasn't.

Whatever Letraset is made of might have the required properties.

As long as the surface is lowered by more than the thickness of a coat of paint, painting and abrading the surface should, in theory, leave brass letters on a coloured background.

I have usually cheated by making a vinyl sticker using a colour laser printer, but then, I keep my standards in check.

Trevor Drabble 125/08/2021 12:31:30
70 forum posts

Would sugest you also try B H Lowe 01922 479737 / 07860 422098 or www.lowebrass. com

Richard Simpson25/08/2021 13:06:08
766 forum posts
371 photos

Many thanks Trevor

Trevor Drabble 125/08/2021 15:11:33
70 forum posts

Richard , you most welcome . Also , please note that Timpsons ( near M&S) within Meadowhall have an on-site computerised engraver , which you may find of interest.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor