Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Lubricant

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Cooper17/08/2021 19:35:40
443 forum posts
182 photos

I am just starting some maintenance on my Robbe Dusseldorf.

The motors are Robbe Navy Compact (I think). The motor has a small metal gear, this meshes with a larger nylon gear on the prop shaft, all inside a plastic gearbox.. I have usually smeared them with lithium cycle grease. This seems to have gone to a thick paste since last time I took the gearbox apart. It's a bit of a swine to undo. This time I have liberally wiped 3 in 1 over both gears .

Is this a good lubricant for metal to nylon meshing gears.

Tim

ashley needham17/08/2021 22:55:59
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Grease can dry out over time. Perhaps Vaseline or a silicon grease....?

Ashley

Richard Simpson17/08/2021 23:01:31
766 forum posts
371 photos

3 in 1 is generally regarded as a light lubricant and will quickly be displaced by the loading on the teeth. This will lead to them being unprotected and prone to premature wear.

You need a lubricant which is specifically formulated to A) Take the load and B) Stay in place on the teeth. Automotive all purpose grease is as good as anything for gear wheels or at least a grease designed for gears. Grease does contain volatiles which will slowly evaporate over years so should be changed occasionally.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 17/08/2021 23:02:18

Tim Cooper18/08/2021 08:35:52
443 forum posts
182 photos

Thanks

I will have another look at it whilst I have it on the bench.

Wish I had thought to ask the question before putting the gearbox back together.

Tim

Richard Simpson18/08/2021 08:46:32
766 forum posts
371 photos

Think positively, at least you asked the question before you used the gearbox again!

Paul T18/08/2021 10:51:28
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

In small gearbox situations I use Lanolin oil, the rotation of the gears keeps the oil moving inside the case and everything remains lubricated.

Any light oil will do the job but check that it doesn't react with nylon.

To avoid over pressuring the case don't fill more than 15% of the gearbox internal capacity

Edited By Paul T on 18/08/2021 10:52:05

Tim Cooper18/08/2021 12:18:12
443 forum posts
182 photos

Thanks

I'll grab the tools I need, make a mug of coffee and get it done .

Tim

Richard Simpson18/08/2021 13:06:15
766 forum posts
371 photos

My apologies, I had assumed that we were talking of a simple cover to prevent the lubricant being splashed around the model rather than a proper sealed gearbox that will actually hold oil. If it is a sealed gearbox then an oil would be fine but if it is just a cover then a grease would be the best option.

Tim Cooper18/08/2021 14:32:41
443 forum posts
182 photos

Richard

That's ok. It came apart much quicker this time. I have used some grease but not too much.

The Robbe Navy come with a nylon gear fixed to the prop shaft, and a metal one on the motor. One half of the gear box is fixed to the prop tube which is then fastened to a bullkhead. A cover plate and the motor are located from the other side of the bulkhead. Bolts go through the gearbox and cover plate to the motor. The bolt heads are on the gearbox side. Space here is limited by the deck, rudder servo, and a water pump. The bolt heads take an Allen key.

For obvious reasons it's been a while since I used this model so I thought I would check everything. Still Have the working features to check.

Tim

Paul T19/08/2021 15:29:36
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Richard

Isn't it odd that two engineers would make different assumptions about the same subject.

Even though closed gearboxes are quite rare in model building, I still went completely the other way to you and assumed that it was a closed unit rather than an open set of gears, it never occurred to me that we might be discussing an open set,

I hope that no one has applied my recommendations to an open gearbox as this will be the quickest way to share lubricant to every surface within a 2m radius.

Paul

blush

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor