Forum sponsored by Dremel

servo traval

or other method

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Astall13/11/2008 19:27:00
10 forum posts

hello chaps,

i have a problem,how do i get 1 1/2" traval from a bog standard servo.i,m building EGRET, the one were the wheelhouse go,s up and down.cant work that bit out.HELP!!

Brian A.

Kevin Bellman13/11/2008 21:50:00
68 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Brian

I'm afraid I dont have the answer but one gizmo that might help is the new P96 ServoMorph from

Action R/C Electronics quote " can stretch a standard servo to rotate nearly 180' "

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/home.html

Just a thought

Regards

longshanks

JC Uknz21/11/2008 08:03:00
141 forum posts
11 photos

This problem is solved by sailing boats by having an arm on the end of the servo arm to increase the radius and the amount of travel at the tip to haul in sheets. The question is do you have room in the model for such a thing? You may need to get a grunty servo for the job.

It is a question of leverage and if the servo is one inch from the pivot anchor/hinge and the object to be moved is three inches then it will be moved three times the servo's movement.

Don't know what EGRET is sorry

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2690/cam_on_servo.GIF

Brian Astall24/11/2008 19:37:00
10 forum posts

Hello Longshanks, thanks for the Action tip,have got the morph and it does what it says but the push rod bends.will keep trying.Thanks,

Brian A.

Brian Astall24/11/2008 19:41:00
10 forum posts

Hi  JC Uknz,

thanks for your reply, will try the cam idea,sounds like it may work without bending the pushrod.

Brian A.

Tony Bell 225/11/2008 21:47:00
49 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Brian,

GWS make a 1turn sail servo for £14 see spec on my sail servo comparison chart.

Tony

Robert Walters08/12/2009 14:52:36
24 forum posts
3 photos
High Brian, I am curious, what kind of boat is the" EGRET" that the Wheelhouse goes up and down
I am working on a Pusher Tug,(with a fixed wheelhouse) and I know that out there there is a set of plans for a Pusher Tug that the wheelhouse rises and falls, but I dont know what company does the said plans, can you or any other modeler help me with this   
Pierre08/12/2009 18:52:28
86 forum posts
65 photos
Hi Robert
EGRET is a plan published by Model Boats about 10 years ago, plus or minus a couple of years - I'm not sure of the exact date. I'm sure a search of the archives would bring up something.
It was a plan of a  Rhine river pusher tug with an adjustable wheelhouse - designed to cope with low bridges I guess.  If I recall correctly the plan was fairly simple, designed to be built in styrene, basically a floating box, though the wheelhouse mechanism was quite ingenious.   I know I have the plan and the article somewhere in my impeccable (?) filing cabinet, so if you're really desperate, I could dig out the exact year or even send you the plan.
Hope this helps
Pierre
Robert Walters10/12/2009 14:59:36
24 forum posts
3 photos
Pierre, you are a gentleman, the tug I am building is in fact named "PIERRE BROUSSE" it is a Pusher like the "EGRET" (thanks to you, for letting me know that) but has a fixed wheelhouse, and I would like to improve the design of my model with a raiseing wheelhouse or Bridge.So if its no trouble to yourself I would very much like to either get the plan number and the date it was purchased by you for me to try and get a copy or failing that receiving a copy of the said plan from you.
Once again thanks for the prompt reply, hope to hear from you again.
Bob 

Pierre10/12/2009 19:56:20
86 forum posts
65 photos
Hi Robert
Have sent you a private e-mail requesting your postal address.
Regards
Pierre

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor