Philby17/08/2021 19:02:55
35 forum posts
14 photos

Whilst I am away I brought this with me too build in the evening’s

a20e89e5-bbdb-43ac-a584-58bb537ea491.jpeg

Philby17/08/2021 22:14:58
35 forum posts
14 photos

So all the bulkheads where released from the ABS plastic sheets.The quality of the parts had been laser cut with only tabs to be removed which were cut with a fine razor saws and finished with a file.

A dry run was carried out as seen in picture and any adjustments made .So far 2 tabs needed filing on the stringer too fit onto the keel

Next stage will be to glue it all together

Phil

4cb675fc-03ce-400d-88da-afaacd2062c0.jpeg4afad707-f821-42c2-8366-4cf6c0dfd247.jpeg

Richard Simpson17/08/2021 22:50:33
1016 forum posts
256 photos

Very neat. It will be interesting to see how easily the skin goes on.

ashley needham17/08/2021 22:53:36
7640 forum posts
159 photos

...and you have somewhere to test it as well, by the looks of things!

Ashley

timg22/08/2021 01:03:33
47 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Philby

I like the look of that kit , and will be watching your progress.

The only aero naut kits I have built have have had wooden hulls , which fitted together pretty well really, hopefully your abs parts will be of a similar standard, as Richard said it will be interesting to see how the skins fit .

good luck with your build

Timg

Philby19/09/2021 10:55:39
35 forum posts
14 photos

Morning all

not much has been done to the pilot boat for a while

So it’s question time, I am at the stage of putting the skins on but the ABS plastic is stiff to bend at the bow and I was thinking of warming the skin in the sun too allow the shaping at the bow

Is this a good idea or not

Phil

Paul T19/09/2021 13:28:45
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Is the ABS that you are using UV stable or will it become brittle in strong sunlight?

Ray Wood 219/09/2021 17:53:06
2840 forum posts
988 photos

Hello Phil,

I would try hot water to soften the plastic, just enough to allow it to become pliable and let it cool off insitu on the hull framework, hopefully it will re-harden with the required curve

Regards Ray

Philby19/09/2021 20:35:14
35 forum posts
14 photos

Paul

not sure what type of ABS is being used .Although did try it in the sun but no luck

Ray

I will try the hot water too form the shape

Phil

Philby05/04/2022 11:35:03
35 forum posts
14 photos

i have not done much too this since 2021 although I have now acquired the motors and a component shop P94 dual esc/mixer controller ready for when I return

Phil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor