Forum sponsored by Dremel

LCT Front Ramp

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Silverfern Downunder06/08/2021 01:20:54
10 forum posts
4 photos

Hi to everyone reading this new tread.

I am building a commercil Landing Barge and starting to work on the front ramp. I have created a photo album for you to review and get a better understanding of what I'm building.

I have a Hitec HS-785HB sail winch to use for attaching cables to to lift and lower the ramp.

Now how to make it all work using my Futaba T6EX controller and Action electronic components?

All suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank you kindly, Robert

ashley needham06/08/2021 07:43:37
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Robert.

A sail winch servo is just a servo, and plugs into the receiver as per a normal servo...this is my understanding although I am not a sailing man. The question is what sort of servo do you have as I understand there are different sorts of sail winch types.

Which A E components do you have?

Ashley

Malcolm Frary06/08/2021 08:46:31
1040 forum posts

A HS-785HB is just an ordinary servo with more travel. Instead of 90 degrees of travel, it does 1260 degrees (3 1/2 turns) with a typical transmitter on a proportional channel. Depending on the particular transmitter.

Plug it into a switched channel and see how many turns you get between one switch position and the other. Once you know that plus knowing the diameter of the drum, you know the travel available. After that, its just a case of working out the best arrangements for the string, matching the travel you have with the travel required for raising and lowering the ramp. And stopping when you get there. With a 1" diameter drum, thats about 11" of travel, but the settings on the switched channel might be different.

Richard Simpson06/08/2021 08:58:25
766 forum posts
371 photos

You might also want to consider including some form of flexible arrangement when closing a door with a sail winch. If you have not got the arrangement absolutely perfectly adjusted when the door closes you may end up with a slight gap or worse, over tightening of the arrangement and damage to the model.

Simply including a light spring or even a section of elastic in the arrangement will enable firm closing without over tensioning the closing mechanism. I have seen a simple light spring used in the past to very good effect.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor