Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Model Railways

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Simpson13/10/2021 19:56:09
1027 forum posts
256 photos

As I started this thread to give members an opportunity to share model railway topics perhaps we can get it back on track. Pun of course intended.

These are a couple of my first practise sessions at weathering rolling stock. They leave a lot to be desired but I learned a lot from them. The locomotives are all 'dumb' by either having no motor or simply being disconnected and while the models are pretty basic they provide a perfect subject to practise weathering techniques on. They will then be used on the layout as purely decorative items around things like sheds etc.

20-10-17-03mineralwaggonweathering3.jpg

21-05-18-02hornbyb12weatheringexercise2.jpg

21-05-18-09bachmannv2weatheringexercise4.jpg

03-09-18-01railwayweatheredcheshire1.jpg

Colin Bishop13/10/2021 20:11:04
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

I like the 3650 loco. Very realistic.

Colin

Richard Simpson13/10/2021 22:38:57
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Thanks Colin. I need to pluck up the courage to have a go at a coach next, that's a whole different set of techniques.

neil howard-pritchard13/10/2021 23:30:27
2260 forum posts
2759 photos

i could look at your work all day, Richard.......and wonder in awe at your incredible realism as to how you can get such finishes to your set ups.......

i love them, and always have loved model railways. and yet know that i could never produce anything but a basic layout.

there used to be a show at Fleetwood of railway modelling, and i always used to enjoy going, and yet would always come away, saddened and disappointed knowing that although i would have loved to have diversified one day from boating i could never achieve what those modellers, and people like yourself produce......

and come to realise that i do know my limits and just resort to looking and viewing the workmanship of those who do know their business.

your railway models are just sublime.

Richard Simpson14/10/2021 11:05:43
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Very kind of you to say so Neil, thank you. I don't think what I do is any different to anyone else though, I still look at other peoples work in magazines and at shows and wish I could achieve that level. I always maintain that we are all at some point on a learning curve and all striving to go that little bit further up it as our experience broadens.

I think the great thing with model railways is that you can make anything you like at any size you like and produce something to be happy with. The last thing I did with the railway, before getting distracted by the steam boat, was to convert a diesel shunter from a modern version into a prototype that was around in LNER days. It became a project in its own right with kit bashing and a paint and weathering job and I could quite happily put it on a little base on its own.

This one was a competition entry which I did around a year ago and took a couple of months to put together. I was really pleased with it but it didn't get a mention so not everyone saw it the same way! It is only about 8 inches square so just an enjoyable little project to provide a quick fix when the bigger stuff is getting bogged down.

p1070462.jpg

p1070473.jpg

p1070474.jpg

p1070476.jpg

img_1849.jpg

p1070500.jpg

Ray Wood 214/10/2021 12:54:48
2847 forum posts
993 photos

Hi Richard

A nice looking diorama, where would we be without the Airfix/Dapol range of lineside kits ?? The travelling crane is a classic, I still have one in it's original plastic bag

Your saddle tank doesn't get much of a run though !!

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson14/10/2021 13:10:55
1027 forum posts
256 photos

The trick with the crane was to modify it to fit the cobbled track! Then it was fitted with a whole new set of more credible pulleys and lifting gear, new handrails, a wooden platform and a figure. The criteria of the competition was that you were only allowed to use a 100mm piece of track so I got creative and used the plastic moulding crane base to extend it. The saddle tank actually belongs in the gasworks but it was 'borrowed' for this.

I agree a lot of the old Airfix kits still have life left in them with a bit of creativity. I've got another crane for the dry dock!

gecon09/11/2021 09:18:37
676 forum posts
626 photos

20211108_211532.jpg20211108_211514.jpgMy poxy efforts hardly warrant the space here, but I need to say something to someone...laugh.. unfortunately it's you guys!

I am trying to work out a not-too-complex winter theme. I won't put too much effort into it, it has to be dismantled by 06.01.22! We usually decorate the tree on 1st Advent ie. 28th Nov for this year -just to lighten up the dark afternoons over here. The train layout needs to be ready by then and placed under the tree.

Been constructing the few buildings planned for the set. Some kits are still in the post. Just another log cabin and a small timber yard to go.

Photo of buildings will arrive here soon.

George

Edited By gecon on 09/11/2021 09:23:39

Richard Simpson09/11/2021 13:22:06
1027 forum posts
256 photos

George no-one ever needs to put themselves down when it comes to modelling, just enjoy doing it that's all that matters.

Your buildings look great and very festive, are you going to put lights in them? Strings of Christmas LEDs nowadays are so ridiculously cheap and easy to use and available is all sorts of lengths. If you do, remember to paint the insides of the buildings black otherwise the light will show through the walls and spoil the effect. A coat of thick black paint will block it.

gecon10/11/2021 18:56:23
676 forum posts
626 photos

Thanks Richard,

illumination is in fact ready to go into all buildings! The first set of lights which I acquired for the Fisher proved to be too large for the Yacht, and I bought some smaller grain of wheat bulbs. So the original Fisher LEDS are going to be utilised. All courtesy of IKEA!

One of the buildings came with black-out card, the others have so for been taped at the joins with black electrical tape. I'll paint over the LEDS with red (as in the Fisher) or orange paint to reduce the intesity. If that doesn¨t work, I'll try your black paint tip, many thanks. Our sitting room walls used too be black so I've got some left overs in the cellar!thumbs up

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor