Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Model Railways

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham13/09/2021 18:08:55
7645 forum posts
159 photos

It will soon be time to get the cheap plastic train set out that runs under our Christmas tree! I have three actually, bought in the xmas sales. Cant resist them....probably a childhood thing.

Ashley

Richard Simpson13/09/2021 19:13:45
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Erm, probably, but we won't tell anyone.

Bob Abell29/09/2021 13:11:57
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Continuing my post concerning Geoff Abell`s Model Trains hobby

Following on from his loft layout, he later got very interested in Loco`s built from Lego blocks.

A few of his original builds are enclosed, some represent the locos at Porthmadoc

He also involved himself iwith the West Highland Railway activities in North Wales, Porthmadoc to Caernarfon

Being a Chartered Engineer, he was also involved in the design of the Loco`s construction and got involved with actually meeting the retired owners of Beyer Peacocks of Gorton Manchester to discuss Loco design.I think Peacocks were the builders of the original narrow gauge loco`s

Sadly, Geoff passed away, a few years ago

Bob

8062664356_6c66776620_b.jpg

8062662860_96ca829f24_b.jpg

6803206440_b0702c9252_b.jpg

redpmg29/09/2021 20:26:11
186 forum posts
19 photos

Not a model - but an amazing picture of the contrasts in Africarhodesian garret.jpg- note the Garret with its large water tank forward

The Long Build29/09/2021 20:36:48
753 forum posts
281 photos
Posted by Bob Abell on 29/09/2021 13:11:57:

Continuing my post concerning Geoff Abell`s Model Trains hobby

Following on from his loft layout, he later got very interested in Loco`s built from Lego blocks.

A few of his original builds are enclosed, some represent the locos at Porthmadoc

He also involved himself iwith the West Highland Railway activities in North Wales, Porthmadoc to Caernarfon

Being a Chartered Engineer, he was also involved in the design of the Loco`s construction and got involved with actually meeting the retired owners of Beyer Peacocks of Gorton Manchester to discuss Loco design.I think Peacocks were the builders of the original narrow gauge loco`s

Sadly, Geoff passed away, a few years ago

Bob

8062664356_6c66776620_b.jpg

8062662860_96ca829f24_b.jpg

6803206440_b0702c9252_b.jpg

Amazing Models, If Geoff was still with us I would have recommended he submitted them to Lego , if they had taken it up he would have received a few pennies.. Lego Rocks..

Bob Abell30/09/2021 08:33:04
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Thank you Larry

More info on Geoff`s Lego activities

A photo of David Lloyd George model

Bob

red engine cropped.jpg

Bob Abell30/09/2021 08:42:33
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Something of further interest......

Geoff created this model of the Fairlies Patent

The original loco was built for Penrhyn Quarries and one of the conditions of sale was that the loco had to haul 99 loaded wagons up a certain incline in North Wales

Geoff asked me to contrive a photo of the event using PhotoShop trickery.....Not bad?

Bob

fairlie patent loco.jpg

Richard Simpson30/09/2021 09:19:24
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Not bad?!! Its a great picture Bob!

Interesting subject and narrow gauge is an area of model railways that I find particularly interesting. This required me to do a little research and was amazed at what I came up with. During the First World War narrow gauge railways were used in the field to transport, mainly munitions, but also soldiers, stores and the wounded. The tracks were simply laid in the fields with the minimum of ballast to enable quick and easy track laying and moving.

After the war all this locomotive stock and railway track was up for grabs so a lot of it ended up being bought for agricultural use in Fenland areas. Such a buyer was Smith's crisps who had a large potato farm only a couple of miles away from where I live. The railway was used to bring in the crop to a central shed where it was transshipped to a normal gauge railway. Most of the locomotives for these type of railways were small light petrol driven units such as produced by Simplex.

I would like to have a small section on my own railway of a narrow gauge agricultural railway and so have had a play with a part scratch built, part 3D printed example of a locomotive to go on the layout at some point in the distant future. I had to have mine permanently attached to a wagon so I could get the DCC decoder in it somewhere!

13-09-19-01layoutsimplexbuild1.jpg

21-09-19-15layoutsimplexbuild14.jpg

03-10-19-02layoutsimplexbuild25.jpg

29-10-19-01layoutsimplexbuild27.jpg

14-12-19-01layoutsimplexbuild33.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 30/09/2021 09:20:26

Bob Abell30/09/2021 09:47:24
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Hi Richard, thank you for your interesting comments and pictures, There`s something awesome, seeing the WW1 equipment, with actual battle damage? It makes me stop and think about those awful times

3d printing is the way to go alright, although I was an AutoCad draffie for twenty years, I could have gotten into the subject quite easily, had I`d known about it at the time

Definitely a missed opportunity

Bob

gecon12/10/2021 19:22:59
676 forum posts
626 photos

20211011_165215.jpgjt fot placed off-centre 60-40.jpgAs mentioned earlier, I have been inspired by these posts on train layouts. I have managed -but only just- to get the OK for a small Christmas theme layout placed below -and surrounding the base- of out plastic Xmas tree. I needed a break from the Colin Archer build and have designed a simple basic layout which will feature freight wagons loaded with tiny Xmas presants and maybe some Liquorice Allsorts or other high coloured goodies.

A pinewood bord covered with foambord has been designed around the rattan base of our Xmas tree. Spray-on snow will be added together with two small goods sheds and the obligitory village church.

Not big deal I know, but I must admit that I'm looking forward to Christmas already! We often set up the tree in early December to brighten up the long, dark winter days so this year I'm planning for VERY early December )

A digital N-gauge Fleischmann goods train set has been bought in for the occasion. Only beacause it was all I could find in stock under £300!

Only got a couple of basic photos for the moment. It won't look like much until the tree is in place above the whole show in about 7 weeks.  Merry Xmasgift!

George

Edited By gecon on 12/10/2021 19:41:22

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor