Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Model Railways

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jonathan Kinghorn08/08/2021 11:30:43
7 forum posts
10 photos

I did paint the tunnel portal, like all structures for my project it is scratch built. All card and wood in this case, including dolls house moldings for the fancy bits. It needs a lot more weathering--the real portal is still black with soot today. The portal will be largely buried in a cutting.

Richard Simpson08/08/2021 16:19:01
1027 forum posts
256 photos

That will look superb.

Ray Wood 230/08/2021 15:49:44
2847 forum posts
993 photos

Hi All,

Well not strictly model railways, but along the same lines

This is my 5" gauge Terrier tank engine Boxhill, the model designed by Martin Evans in Model Engineer magazine the chassis has inside cylinders and needs the valve gear to be completed before I can air test it. The copper boiler I had professionally made 20 years ago , this has been a 25 year project so far, I'm not rushing and only do another part when I'm in the mood.

Unfortunately the cost of having a boiler made and the price of the casting these days far out weighs the value of the finished locomotive, but it's a lot of satisfaction along the way andboxhill 300821.jpg if it ever gets finished (The Hornby 00 version for size comparison)

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson30/08/2021 17:46:16
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Absolutely fantastic Ray. Reminds me of those amazing exhibits at the Model Engineering shows that I miss so much!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 30/08/2021 17:46:27

gecon31/08/2021 13:56:47
676 forum posts
626 photos

Oh-Oh; I'm being inspired by these posts! Used to have digitalised Hornby and Fleischmann HO sets. Later downsized to Fleisch' N-scale. Think I might have space for a small Z-gauge Christmas theme layout. Have to go for Marklin Mini-Club I suppose. A bit pricey, but don't have the space for anything else. Have to try to get SWMBO in the Xmas spirit soon. Can start by buying in the Bristol Cream maybe laugh Babbling again.....

George

Bob Abell13/09/2021 11:07:50
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Found this old photo of my late twin brother`s Garden Railway layout, built in his roof space about twenty years ago

It was most elaborate and impressive

He later went over to the Lego Loco`s genre and many of his specials appear on the Lego website

Bob

geoff`s loco track.jpg

Richard Simpson13/09/2021 11:35:58
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Very atmospheric Bob. I can't help but ponder over the question of how a railway built in a roof space becomes a garden railway. Did it use very high viaducts or very steep inclines?!

Ray Wood 213/09/2021 12:05:07
2847 forum posts
993 photos

Hi All,

As we live in Kent and being called the Garden of England (by some) this is my garden railway Hercules at Dungeness station of the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railways, some advantages to nothercules 100921.jpg working on Fridays now

I have loved this railway as long as I can remember as we had holidays at Greatstone back in the 60's and fortunately my grandchildren live close to the line !!

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson13/09/2021 12:11:36
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Absolutely beautiful Ray. What a stunning piece of model engineering.

Bob Abell13/09/2021 17:44:20
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

Richard, are you saying, that you have never heard of a Roof Garden?

You`ve at sea too long!

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor