Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Model Railways

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Simpson25/07/2021 13:48:53
957 forum posts
255 photos

As I suggested on another thread it might be nice to see member's model railways I thought I would start the ball rolling with a couple of my own. Hopefully this might tempt some others to follow suit:

16-02-19-11layoutj15j94scopwicksignalbox2.jpg

18-04-19-12layoutnwgladiatorupgrade12.jpg

30-04-20-10layouttractionenginetrain4.jpg

p1070569.jpg

p1070575.jpg

ashley needham25/07/2021 17:53:58
7593 forum posts
167 photos

Richard. Very nice indeed, lovely detail (which is what train layouts are all about).

Alas my collection is mostly “O” gauge and not permanently set up. I will contribute however when I next get down the shed with the iPad to take some snaps!

Thinking about it, I could empty the big LCT and put some track and rolling stock in it to become a train-transporter?.

Ashley

Colin Bishop25/07/2021 19:13:19
5152 forum posts
6118 photos
419 articles

I always enjoy looking at model railway layouts in any scale, particularly when they incorprate rolling stock I used to be familiar with.

I also like travelling on the various heritage railways around the UK, steam or otherwise. Over the years we have been on the Bluebell Line, Isle of Wight Steam Railway, Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, Dartmouth Steam Railway, various North Wales Railways, Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway and the Swanage Railway.The latter has locomotives that I used to trainspot back in the 1960s passing through Surbiton hauling classic trains, such as the Atlantic Coast Express, the Cunarder and the Ocean Liner Express. Great memories.

Abroad we have travelled on quite a few trains of which the Greek Diakopto–Kalavryta railway in th Peloponnese was one of the most spectacular along with the Norwegian Flam Railway.

There was also an interesting railway high up in the Pyrenees with spectacular views.

As an aside there are quite a few subterranean railways which take you into cave systems in various parts of Europe. You usually need to keep you head well down though!

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 25/07/2021 19:15:58

ashley needham26/07/2021 11:18:48
7593 forum posts
167 photos

Snaps of some of my O gauge stuff.

First is a little A.Wells train cheap (at the time) set . Only a mean circle of track, one small train, tender and carriage (clockwork of course). Accessorised with a tunnel, station and signal box. Notice how delightfully scale they all are. Some boy would no doubt have thrilled to get just the little train set and played with it for hours?

Other boxes, part of my stash. Nothing expensive, very few items in “as new” condition.

Box , one of four, of track. It has been re-plated in bright tin, totally destroying its value to a collector but looking jolly smart. I once thought track was hard to come by and for years this stopped me buying O gauge trains,but no, the island is awash with it. Very little in good condition of course. I bought all my Hornby track off e-bay years ago for £100, and went in the Corsa with Berengar to Ruislip to get it, and it filled the car, literally...full to the brim. berengar was sitting on it, holding it, it was stuffed under the seats...pre and post war track, connector clips, points, three rail...

Sold the three rail stuff, chucked quite a bit away as it was too rusty or bent to be salvageable.

You can see why oo gauge became the tops though, as I have to completely clear the front room to put any sort of layout down!

Ashley

46ef58ca-cc21-4316-819d-a23c23995f59.jpeg

64e8eb15-e642-4226-b14f-d4066d6db3c8.jpeg

59f339b6-1b16-4ceb-ac89-d4ac63f72dd2.jpeg

ca2633cd-9852-46c6-94f2-7eb0bf7787c3.jpeg

34159f50-3e5a-4d8d-bb56-24511d88825e.jpeg

Richard Simpson26/07/2021 12:09:47
957 forum posts
255 photos

Reminds me of my Triang Hornby clockwork set that I had as a kid. My Dad sold it when I went to college, something I never quite forgave him for!

Some lovely stuff there Ashley, as to whether it would interest kids nowadays is another story but maybe the Grandkids will get some enjoyment from it.

Jonathan Kinghorn08/08/2021 01:32:14
7 forum posts
10 photos

I've been working on Welwyn North station c.1935 in N gauge--no layout yet so I'm working on buildings when I'm not working on boats. The second photo shows rough models made to help me work out how to make the real things.

img_20200828_162425862.jpg

pc014745.jpg

Richard Simpson08/08/2021 08:48:38
957 forum posts
255 photos

Did you paint the archway yourself? The effect has worked very well.

Bob Abell08/08/2021 08:59:11
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

I really do like your Loco layout Richard

So very neat and very realistic too......But how often do you operate it, nowadays?

I think the enjoyment is mainly in the building......Like Model Boats.....eh?

I often have a look at the super big layout of that famous chap with BBC connections.....?

Of course I can`t recall his name at the moment

I often wonder what will become of it eventually?

A common problem I suppose?

I like the preservation societies with the old preserved loco`s

We had the famous LMS Bahamas Society at Dinting near Glossop and also at Buxton, sadly, they are now long gone. for some reason

Bob

(PS...... I was talking about Pete Waterman)

Edited By Bob Abell on 08/08/2021 09:09:15

Colin Bishop08/08/2021 09:58:39
5152 forum posts
6118 photos
419 articles

We had a Hornby O gauge trainset when I was a kid. The standout moment was when my Dad was winding up the engine with the cat on his lap. Moggie got a bit too curious and managed to get its whiskers entangled in the mechanism. Pandemonium ensued...

Colin

Richard Simpson08/08/2021 11:29:35
957 forum posts
255 photos

I was reading about Pete Waterman's 64 foot layout, which is displayed in Chester Cathedral, only this morning in the latest Hornby magazine. Personally I prefer quality rather than quantity and would far rather see a small shunting layout that has been beautifully put together than a huge layout that has been put together quickly. When you consider he has 64 foot of four track main line and there are two houses on it it says it all for me.

I do like operating as well as building as I like the atmosphere that the sounds of the loco's generate. I quite often have something running around while i work on an area of scenery. For now things are on hold as I put some effort into getting the latest open steam launch completed but then I will return to the layout. I am getting a bit bogged down with automating signals, which is why i decided to have a break and work on some boats.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor