Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fairey Huntsman

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Cooper19/07/2021 11:42:09
440 forum posts
212 photos

Yesterday I finally managed to get my Dave M kit of the Huntsman in a paddling pool (had to get the dog out first) to check if any ballasting was required. Mine seemed to be a little bow down. Has anyone had the same? It needed about 150 g of lead to bring it level. I seem to remember DM saying it didn't need any ballast. I wonder if that's normal and it corrects as power goes on?

Unfortunately I can't fire a PM to him anymore.

Tim

Chris Fellows19/07/2021 11:51:13
991 forum posts
643 photos

Hi Tim

They are prone to sitting bow down, partly because the bow design doesn't offer much support. As you say Dave's build was Ok though.

The bow will come up fine under power but try and come off the throttle gradually rather than suddenly when on the plane.

Pity to add ballast, especially as Dave's mantra was to keep it light but 150g isn't that much. Is there any scope for moving the battery back?

I can't wait to try my 1:12 version in the bath and see how it sits - needs the prop shaft and rudder installing though first.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 19/07/2021 11:54:59

harry smith 119/07/2021 12:17:59
1082 forum posts
1272 photos

Hi Tim

My Precedent Huntsman sits bow down, but on powering up comes up no problem.

Harry

ashley needham19/07/2021 13:18:48
7323 forum posts
156 photos

A well known personage came to the pond ages ago with (possibly) the same kit and I commented on the bow down look. As per comments, it rose up and looked fine once moving and went very well.

Ashley

Tim Cooper19/07/2021 13:29:10
440 forum posts
212 photos

Thanks all.

I will give a go without and see how it goes. The battery is a small Nimh, sitting fore and aft. It's as far back as it will go. Not sure if it will go across the boat.

Tim

Colin Bishop19/07/2021 13:45:02
4967 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

Yes, Dave's prototype sat level at rest but others have reported the bow down attitude of their kits. I suspect it is due to the quite subtle bow section where there is a tendency to carve off too much material from the balsa bow blocks to achieve the Fairey double curve.

I tried putting a bit of ballast in the stern of mine and although it didn't affect the performance noticeably it did make the bow come up rather too much at speed so I removed it.

Colin

Paul T19/07/2021 18:05:44
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Dear All

This might be a silly question to ask experienced model builders but Dave expected this 'bow down' problem to arise and anticipated the three sets of circumstances that would lead to incorrect trim.

Either to much timber would be removed from the bow (as Colin stated) the plans were not followed correctly or substitute equipment had been installed.

Whilst Dave admitted that there was little that he could do to remedy the first situation but he was very specific about the internal gubbins and he was very careful to match internal equipment to the hull and spent a long time checking the trim to ensure the boat sat level when at rest.

An obvious question is, are you all using the correct equipment as specified by Dave and are the big lumpy bits in their correct designed positions.

Paul

Colin Bishop19/07/2021 19:03:07
4967 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

My boat uses Dave's specifications to the letter.

Colin

Tim Cooper19/07/2021 19:12:41
440 forum posts
212 photos

Paul

I wasn't suggesting any problem with Dave's design. It just wasn't what I expected. Hence the question.

My battery choice is different to Dave's, but other equipment is similar. Normally I would have just asked Dave .

Tim

Colin Bishop19/07/2021 19:21:38
4967 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

Nothing to be done about it really, you just hav to accept it. No problem with the beamier Swordsman.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor