Rudder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Ellis 112/07/2021 09:54:10
14 forum posts
31 photos

Hi One and All

This is my first post to this forum

I am building the Guardsman, I am using the vac-formed hull, now the thing is a few have said that the rudder is on the small side and that I will have trouble when I go astern, has any one had this problem?

If you have enlarged the rudder on your Guardsman by how much did you enlarge it?

Thanking you for any help that you can give

Fred

redpmg12/07/2021 16:00:57
170 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Fred - sent you a PM re the rudder

Richard Simpson12/07/2021 17:25:23
646 forum posts
302 photos

To be perfectly honest I don't think I have a boat that steers very well when going astern. Some try but most take so long to head in the direction I want that I tend to use astern for simply giving myself more space to steer ahead again!

John W E12/07/2021 18:51:47
276 forum posts
272 photos

Hi there Fred,

As is stated on another Forum, the reason I enlarged the rudder on the Guardsman was that I use this model for steering scale regattas and on a lot of these courses, they have a lot of reverse sections in them, this is where you have to sometimes go astern and touch a buoy/go into a dock etc.  As has already been stated on this forum there are not many single screw vessels that like to go astern in a straight line.

Here is a view of the extension that I made for the rudder to help my model go astern.

003.jpg

Edited By John W E on 12/07/2021 18:52:27

Edited By John W E on 12/07/2021 18:54:50

neil howard-pritchard12/07/2021 21:20:30
1916 forum posts
1747 photos

i owned a 56' narrow boat for ten years, and even that wouldn't go astern in a straight line........its just a matter of going astern in little moves........an inch or so at a time..............but at least it is more realistic to the real vessel.

Fred Ellis 113/07/2021 09:36:46
14 forum posts
31 photos

Hi One and All

Thank you for your reply's, I see that a few of us are on the other forum as well.

I am now in a quandary as just what to do, I have long passed the steering competitions (if I went back I would use my old HFM ORSV) so do I make the rudder larger or do I keep it as per the plans?

I think I just may do the rudder just that bit larger but still within the design of the plane.

Thank you all for your help and advise.

Fred

Tony Hadley13/07/2021 11:27:31
912 forum posts
552 photos

Hello Fred,

Some time ago, I built this model with a balsa hull. My rudder was a sheet of brass shim, cut to shape and folded over the brass rod. It was then epoxied together and clamped. Any tidying up of the edges was done with filler, then finished with the smooth file and emery cloth before painting.

The size was approx. 3mm over what the design shows. This was not really necessary as the handling is good whilst moving forward and what has already been said earlier is correct.

The problems I had with the rudder were not the shape, but the linkage. It took three attempts to get it right and they were due to me not removing enough balsa from the stern end bread and butter construction. This won't be a problem with a moulded hull.

Attached is a link to my build. I still have the model stored in the shed and must give it a clean up.

**LINK**

Wishing you every success with the build.

guardsman (106).jpg

Richard Simpson13/07/2021 12:08:17
646 forum posts
302 photos

Fred, If you intend competing in steering competitions where astern stability may be important it may be worth enlarging the rudder. If you intend to use the model for just general sailing pleasure and even possibly an occasional steering competition where astern movements are not required then you could leave it as it is.

I can assure you that single screw full sized ships are not very stable going astern and invariably wind has more effect than the rudder does! This is partly due to the back end "walking" sideways as a result of a single large propeller creating a side ways thrust as it rotates. When you get competent at steering astern you can actually use this effect to your advantage and approach either from one side or the other in the knowledge that the stern will have "Walked" to the correct spot when it arrives at the opening. You will also find that the model "docks" easier one way around as a result of the rear end tucking in nicely once the bow has touched.

All part of the pleasure of handling single screw boats.

If you really want entertainment lean over the hand rails of a cruise ship during lifeboat drill and watch the new crew trying to get the boats in the correct position beneath the falls. Ship's Lifeboats sit almost on top of the water when they have no load in them and catch the slightest breath of wind and, with the prop so close to the surface, the walking effect is more pronounced. Many a happy hour spent watching that particular circus.

Fred Ellis 114/07/2021 07:49:18
14 forum posts
31 photos

Hi One and All

Tony and Richard thank you for for your comments, I have taken on board your advice.

I think I will now have a go at making my own rudder but just a few MM bigger,

Fred

Richard Simpson14/07/2021 08:38:00
646 forum posts
302 photos

Let us know how you go about making it Fred, I'm sure it will be interesting.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor