Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Jenny (with modifications)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Garth Thompson28/06/2021 07:34:42
6 forum posts
5 photos

I had admired the lines of Jenny, as shown in the thread started by Tony Hadley and he had kindly sent me some further photos of his lovely model. The boat was originally designed by Douglas McGhee and I purchased plans from Sarik.

However I Wanted to make a few modifications. Firstly wanted to hide the sail control within the boat itself (the original shows an arm coming through the hatch. Secondly I replaced the long keel with a fin and lead weight in the hope of improving its sailing performance. In order to do this I had to incorporate a fin box using ply doublers. Thirdly I replaced the nylon stocking reinforcement with lightweight glass and epoxy. Finally I enlarged the rudder slightly.

The inside of the boat before gluing the deck:

20210210_154643[1].jpg

Garth Thompson28/06/2021 07:35:18
6 forum posts
5 photos

At the bottom of the photo is the sail arm servo, an inexpensive 180 degree one.  I cut a slot in the bulkhead just forward to allow the full movement of the arm.

Edited By Garth Thompson on 28/06/2021 07:37:45

Richard Simpson28/06/2021 08:42:04
957 forum posts
255 photos

Nice neat and tidy construction. Just be sure that nothing catches you out and you cannot access it after the deck is attached.

This tends to happen when you make modifications to a plan and you haven't envisaged every eventuality!

Garth Thompson28/06/2021 09:29:16
6 forum posts
5 photos

Here is the finished model showing the fin keel and the larger rudder:

20210628_064956.jpg

and the boat sailing:

img-20210627-wa0008[1].jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the performance although I have no way of comparing it with the original design.

Richard, you are so right! My problem was that, when the sheets are eased the slack isn't necessarily taken up, especially in light winds. The sail control strings could then get tangled with other parts, e.g. the rudder servo. My (rather Heath Robinson) solution was to insert a piece of thin card to separate the sail control mechanism (which is higher in the boat) from the rest of the stuff.

Richard Simpson28/06/2021 11:23:51
957 forum posts
255 photos

She looks lovely on the water though.

Garth Thompson28/06/2021 11:41:49
6 forum posts
5 photos

Here's another

img-20210627-wa0007.jpg

Tony Hadley28/06/2021 14:20:55
914 forum posts
559 photos

Garth,

A superb result, your model looks extremely graceful on the water. The gaff rig is a very neat feature of this model. Must agree with the modifications you have carried out, especially the stability improvement with the modified keel. Douglas McGhee did pass comment in the original magazine article about the model only being a fair weather model and mine was the same.

Unfortunately I no longer have mine, The Secretary of the local model boat club bought it and he was exhibiting it at shows before Covid appeared.

Douglas later built a slightly larger version with a schooner rig.

At the end of the magazine article Douglas's comment reads - "Finally, Jenny is a lightweight fair weather yacht, so look out for your 1920s style striped blazer and straw boater".

Thanks for showing the photographs and I am really pleased that you have got so much enjoyment from the model.

Tony

Garth Thompson28/06/2021 15:57:39
6 forum posts
5 photos

Thank you Tony for your kind words. I haven't got any photos of it sailing to windward but it makes good progress in lightish winds. The gun'l has certainly got wet. However it remains only suitable for fairly light winds; the sail area is quite large for the size of hull.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor