MV Stability (1949) - F T Everard & Sons

1/72nd Coaster - from Jim Pottinger's Drawing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 225/06/2021 09:35:34
2505 forum posts
864 photos

st 1 photo.jpgHi All,

I have been lucky enough to be lent a free plan published in Model Shipwright by Jim Pottinger for Stability, she was operated by F T Everard & Sons from Greenhithe, which is very close our Chantry club at Bluewater, During the late 60's I used to cycle over to Greenhithe clutching my Ian Allen ship spotting book to see which ones I could tick off the list.

I have had the drawing enlarged to 1/72nd scale as she maybe part of a Quayside layout on my OO railway in the future (thought Richard would like that ! ) she will be balsa construction, ply for the superstructure and vital stats :- 31" long X 5" beam.

So here we go with the card bulkhead templates ready to start cutting.

Regards Rayst 2 card bulks.jpg

Eddie Lancaster25/06/2021 09:59:12
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Ray, that’s a nice looking boat, I like Jim’s choice of boats to model and the simplicity of them, and at a size that you can add some detail and still have a boat you can handle.

BTW you say that I am fast out of the blocks😁.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 225/06/2021 10:06:42
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Eddie,

The trouble with me is I'm looking/thinking 3-4 models ahead

Found a set of Rob Roy drawings in didn't know I had, sweet little engine, and I think I would give the boiler a shot  PS, I blame Bob for showing us pictures of his steamers !!

I need to get the timber prepared for Nimbus

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 25/06/2021 10:14:01

Bob Wilson25/06/2021 10:44:45
1715 forum posts
192 photos

They were smart little ships. Some of them were painted yellow, but I preferred the black ones like Stability - Here is one I built of Speciality. I sailed in the big Frederick T Everard myself in 1962, another yellow one -

speciality mb.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 25/06/2021 10:45:11

Ray Wood 225/06/2021 11:07:54
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Bob,

Yes would have preferred a yellow ship, I recall them being fairly rusty in the 60's

I have most of the Model Shipwright periodicals, but unfortunately not many of the free drawings I think it's fair to say you did you bit to keep the publication afloat for so long with your ship model articles, they are still a great reference source of information.

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson25/06/2021 11:11:18
1715 forum posts
192 photos

Thanks Ray,

I wrote for them for years, but I think they finally wound it all up after the death of their editor, John Bowen, at the age of 99.

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 25/06/2021 11:11:36

Bob Wilson25/06/2021 11:14:39
1715 forum posts
192 photos

Thames River tug SA Everard -

s a everard.jpg

Ray Wood 228/06/2021 09:18:09
2505 forum posts
864 photos

st 3 bulkheads.jpgHi All,

Nothing quite like a wet weekend for some cutting and sticking

The bulkheads are cross laminated 1/16" balsa to stop them splitting when cut out with a scalpel , the keel is balsa & obeche with the bow and stern being 1/8th balsa sheet, maybe planking with 3/32 as I have plenty in stock.

Regards Rayst 4 keel laid.jpg

Bob Abell28/06/2021 09:36:45
9334 forum posts
2985 photos

Hi Ray

I watching your build to see how the build develops using Balsa construction

Wonder how a One Metre Yacht would cope with Balsa?

I may be quicker on the water, being so light

Would it be allowed in the very stringent rules though?

Bob

Ray Wood 228/06/2021 10:29:02
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Bob,

My friend Eddie in Northants has lent me a set of forms to make Nimbus a IOM design and the rules say that the minimum weight must be 4 Kilos, so no advantage really in using balsa I'm going to use mahogany because it will look great varnished

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor