Forum sponsored by Dremel

All my model boat builds history

Nostalgia

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell24/06/2021 10:04:18
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Due to my failing memory, sadly, I feel the need to compile the entire list of model boats I`ve built. Starting about 1990 to the current day, so I can reminisce more easily

The list is not chronological, but it will be a rough guess

During the previous years, I have built three live steam loco`s, dozens of RC Aircraft and a loft conversion, which are now Man Caves!

Ray Wood 224/06/2021 10:11:23
2485 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Bob,

I'd rather like a list of the boats your are going to build in the future !! so you don't beat me to it, like you did with the slipper launch

Kind Regards Ray

Bob Abell24/06/2021 10:51:07
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Thanks Ray

I Built the Slipper Launch rather early, as it had caught my imagination at the time.

At the moment, there are no other Slippers being built by club members, but when it gets nearer to the September Competition time, they will probably make the effort

I hope you will find my build list of interest?

My first build was a Graham Bantock design One Metre yacht and at the moment, I can`t recall the name!

And I can`t find the photo either!

The actual photo was really a "For Sale" poster. intended to be exhibited in Ashton Model Shop window. The famous One Metre Champ, Barry Jackson, served me and bought it immediately. With the money, I bought the big Billings kit Colin Archer by Billings. This was the time I joined the Etherow Club

Bob

Colin Archer

Bob Abell24/06/2021 11:11:56
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Following on from Colin Archer, was the French fishing boat Louis Heloise.

This was a really pleasing chunky build and lovely to build. It was built in the upright position on the stand.

Of course I added a motor and prop in order to get out of trouble, should it arise. which it didn`t, because I had a motor drive!

Bob

LH Page 32

LH page 22

LH page 14

LH page 7

Bob Abell24/06/2021 11:34:58
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

At one point I became interested in the career of William Daniels. He was a champion free sailing yachter of the 1936`s He starred at the great Pond in one of the London parks

I built the biggish yacht Pocahontas, a 50 inch yacht, the actual class escapes me at the moment. Later on, I used the hull to create two special yachts..... Pocatannia and Pocahontas. More about these later.

Bob

Pocahontas

pocahontas

Bob Abell24/06/2021 11:57:50
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Some time later, I fancied building Sandy Cousin`s model of the Royal Yacht Britannia

When the plan arrived, I was shocked to discover, that he had built the model out of cardboard!

The rest of the model was highly detailed to the Nth degree! He also added an out board motorised torpedo thingy that stood in for a motor drive. But the finished model was first class and in the magazine write up. he says he managed to get aboard the full sized craft and meet the Captain!

Anyway. I didn`t fancy cardboard, even though I did in 2020, in order to build the Commodores Challenge, MTB Boat, when the shops were closed. due to the Covid restrictions etc

So I used the hull design of Pocahontas. hence the name Pocatannia

The model was a complete success, sailed well and managed come 1st at a Bury Marine club competition

There is a very nice video of my model sailing at Buxton park lake on YouTube.....If you can find it!

Bob

Pocatannia

POCATANNIA  YACHT

Richard Simpson24/06/2021 12:22:34
648 forum posts
302 photos

Bob there are some beautiful models there, just my sort of boats. I think there is nothing lovelier than a scale yacht gently gliding across the water. Every one is an absolute gem that you should be proud of.

I hope you are also going to include your locomotives in this list as, not surprisingly, I also have an interest in model railways, in particular live steam.

By the way as regards memory we all suffer to varying degrees. Even my wife once called me from a supermarket and asked me to read out her shopping list that she had left on the kitchen table!

Bob Abell24/06/2021 13:57:10
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Thank you Richard for your very kind comments

Here is a photo of my first loco......

The Bassett Lowke Tank Engine. The plans and castings were sold by Bassett Lowke of Manchester in Corporation Street, now long gone, along with all the rest of the Model Shops

I later found out that is a Henry Greenly design

It ran well. up n down the garden and I joined the Urmston MEC for a gallop round their oval track

I also had a 70 foot length of 3 1/2" track in my garden. The kids loved it, although the neighbours didn`t like the smoke!

I also built LBSC`s Britannia, which took me nine years to build

I ran it at Urmston as usual on a Sunday morning and a chap came along and offered to buy it!

Since I wanted a caravan at the time I sold it there and then and bought a caravan

My third loco was the Duchess of Wales, a Stirling Single big wheeler by Martin Evans

I built the chassis, wheels and axle boxes etc.

Sunday morning again, I was in my garage hammering the 5" diam boiler tube into shape, ringing like Big Ben, Clang! Clang! Clang! and along comes the neighbours. up the drive.......I heard him say to the Missus.....

"Just listen to that bloody noise again!"

With that, I downed tools, went on strike and never worked on the loco again!

Bob

PS There are no photos of the build, but do have a nice sketch of the Living Room, showing it on the Bookcase, when I find it!

img135.jpg

phil + brit.jpglphil and loco.jpg

geoff,steve and karen.jpg

loco.jpg

Bob Abell24/06/2021 14:13:15
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Hi Richard and others of course

You might like my painting of a Loco on the Bluebell Line?

It was copied from a Calendar a few years ago

Bob

bluebell line.jpg

Bob Abell24/06/2021 15:35:02
9317 forum posts
2976 photos

Lovely video of my model yacht Pocatannia

Type in Youtube......

"Buxton Model Boat Club 7"

Very professionally created

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor