By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

What's the foresail on a cutter-rigged ketch called?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon14/06/2021 12:23:43
497 forum posts
422 photos

Hi, The Colin Archer is a cutter-rigged ketch.

The foremost sail (Jib?) is called a 'Klyver' in Norwegian. 'Klyver' translates (more or less) to 'cutter'.

What's it called in English? Cutter sail? or is this also the Jib, being the foremost sail?

George

Richard Simpson14/06/2021 12:29:56
648 forum posts
302 photos

Isn't a sail attached to a mast stay called a Staysail?

gecon14/06/2021 12:38:23
497 forum posts
422 photos

No, it's forward of the staysail The forestay of the 'cutter' sail is attached to the end of a looong boom (bowsprit).

George

Richard Simpson14/06/2021 13:16:38
648 forum posts
302 photos

A bit heavy going but you might find this an interesting read

Link

gecon14/06/2021 14:47:17
497 forum posts
422 photos

Not very heavy going Richard, but I still did not find out if there is a specific name for the foremost sail on a cutter rigged yacht.

I think I'll just refer to the sails as the foresail and the inner foresail or staysail.

The whole question arose in my grey cell when I wanted to explain to which sail the Graupner 6-turn winch (pictured in my Colin Archer blog) was to be connected. I will simply refer to it as the foresail or jib. The one aft of it will be 'the staysail'. I expect I'll hear about it if I've got it all wrongfistlaugh

Many thanks Richard,

George

Edited By gecon on 14/06/2021 14:50:05

Ray Wood 214/06/2021 14:47:46
2485 forum posts
862 photos

Hi All,

How about Headsail ?? I think you can have more than one ??

The Colin Archer I had for a while had a self tacking Foresail/Jib on a horse

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/06/2021 14:50:29

gecon14/06/2021 14:51:51
497 forum posts
422 photos

It' deffinately a headsail, but how do I differentiate between the two headsails?

My 'inner foresail/ staysaill' will be self-tack' on a horse. The foresail on the bowspit will be controlled by a winch.

George

Edited By gecon on 14/06/2021 14:55:23

Malcolm Frary14/06/2021 16:16:57
1029 forum posts

Spotted on https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/cutter-rig-sailboat.html - it "might" be what the writer on there referred to as a "Yankee". This might mean that that particular sail has different names in every area where it is used.

gecon15/06/2021 06:58:56
497 forum posts
422 photos

Hi Malcolm, I think a 'Yankee' sail is simply a 'high cut' jib. The foot of the sail is higher up from the foredeck which helps to prevent it from 'catching' high seas coming over the bow. Many sailors choose a high cut genoa, this gives better visability forwards and also helps to keep the sail out og the 'og'.

The foresail attached to the end of the bowspit of the Colin Archer certainly has a 'yankee' shape to it.

Given that the Norwegians call it a 'Klyver', (pronounced "kloover" I thought that there would be a known English name for this particular sail.

It's really not very important, and I'm allmost sorry that I posted the question. sad

George

Edited By gecon on 15/06/2021 06:59:42

gecon15/06/2021 07:26:23
497 forum posts
422 photos

I've decided to call it the 'cleaver' sail. (cleever). It's at the 'sharp' end of the yacht and 'cleaves/cuts' the air.

I have also decided to 'go away' on this one and leave everyone in peace.smiley I've got more servos to fit. The one that controls the 'sail' below the surface called the RUDDER....or is it TILLER?...I don't want to knowwink

Cheers,

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor