Forum sponsored by Dremel

RAF rescue launch ASR HSL

new build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Philip Hughes 110/05/2021 11:55:10
13 forum posts
29 photos

Hi guys - as a first model building a 'whaleback' using a set of plans - being built with my father-in-law.

Its a RAF HSL/ASR - with a 'flat bottom' - thought this plan best for my basic skills in 1/24th scale - any hints or tips please?

We are scrath building hull and superstructure from balsa with added details from 3d printed parts from ebay etc. BUT need some help sourcing 1/24th scale gun turrets x2 anyone able to help - happy to pay a fair price for them. Not happy with just shaping them out of wood and painting them white!

Help appreciated for this newbie

Dave Cooper 611/05/2021 08:26:13
305 forum posts
32 photos

Hello Phillip and welcome to the forum.

I struggled with this one too. My boat is just 16" overall and, I couldn't find any commercial parts for the turret. In the end, I made one out of a car rear light bulb (which seemed to be the right size and shape).

The 'gunner' came from a 1/48 German aircrew set (Revell, I think). I had to do a bit of 'surgery' to get him inside the bulb once the base was removed ("ship-in-a-bottle" style !). I wrecked a few bulbs though in the process... The guns are also scratch built in balsa /dowel etc. The turret rotates, but, the gun barrels don't articulate. I have a long-term plan to use an "Arduino Uno" to rotate the turret in a randomly selected fashion...

Hope this helps - photo(s) below,

Dave

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 11/05/2021 08:45:23

Dave Cooper 611/05/2021 08:33:08
305 forum posts
32 photos

What I call "fun scale" (and, started by my son and a friend when they were very young...)

rear gunner and turret.jpg

launch side view 3.jpg

ashley needham11/05/2021 08:34:28
7318 forum posts
156 photos

Philip. I seem to remember other people struggling to find turret glass for this, as they are an awkward shape. The light bulbs are great only as far as if they are the right size!

Clear acrylic domes can be purchased on e-bay, which, if mated to some tube (same size) may make a reasonable substitute?

Ashley

Richard Simpson11/05/2021 08:41:43
646 forum posts
302 photos

You might find this an interesting read. Not exactly the same as yours but the scratch building of the turret might just give you some ideas:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9758.0.html

The gent who built this also posts on here so he should see any questions you might have.

Ray Wood 211/05/2021 09:25:02
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Phillip,

Is your model going to be static for show or radio controlled if so the flat bottoms not a great idea, at around 35" long at 1/24th scale I don't think fittings would be that hard to find?

Regards Ray

Philip Hughes 111/05/2021 09:53:04
13 forum posts
29 photos

thanks for tips guys - I'll be sure to feedback how this goes. Nice tip about the bulb - can I ask what bulb you used - looks good on the pictures @Dave Cooper 6

@Ray Wood the model is for radio control - but only thinking of powering the motors - not turrets etc

Tim Cooper11/05/2021 10:01:53
440 forum posts
212 photos

H

You could have a walk around the supermarket. There might be a vac forming a convenient shape or top that could be used.

Tim

Charles Oates11/05/2021 10:39:50
630 forum posts
51 photos

Tim beat me to it. When I built a similar model, I went round our local cheapo shop looking at packaging. I used the plastic from small bottles, they were only 1 mm out, quite ok for me.

John W E11/05/2021 15:17:38
276 forum posts
272 photos

Hi there

The method I used to create these gun turrets is fully explained on Mayhem on the build I did on there of the 63ft Whaleback launch - but here are a couple of pics to give you the idea. It was done in an oven to warm the clear plastic up and then I pushed the mould into the soft plastic to create the shape of the gun turret. It took one or two attempts but in my opinion it looks far superior than a lightbulb painted.

Going to put the pictures in my album and then I will put them on here.

Edited By John W E on 11/05/2021 15:28:16

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor