Forum sponsored by Dremel

Sound Units

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George Norman08/05/2021 09:48:11
57 forum posts
237 photos

Good Morning all,

I am Waiting patiently for Action Electronics Noisey thing II's come back into Stock for the past 6 months or so and there seems to be no sign of these being re stocked anytime soon.

Does anyone have any experience of other options out there. Looking for a Steam sounds for My Sir Lancelot Build.

I am looking now a Harbour Models Steam sounds which sound pretty good to me but on the expensive side.

Shame as the Noisey Thing II looked to be pretty good.

Colin Bishop08/05/2021 12:30:26
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

Dave Milbourn used to assemble a lot of the ACtion stuff so that may be one of the reasons for the delay.

Colin

Eddie Lancaster08/05/2021 13:08:13
846 forum posts
644 photos

The noisy thing sound unit is very good, using a real recording of a steam engine, mlne has been with Componantshop since last September for re- setting, they have told me that they are made in-house.

Eddie

George Norman08/05/2021 13:29:39
57 forum posts
237 photos

Thanks, Did not know the poor chap moved on.

Maybe I plug for one of those American units. The Steam sound is pretty good.

It did enquire and Covid and supply had a lot to do with the lack of these.

Richard Simpson09/05/2021 09:37:22
646 forum posts
302 photos

I'm just going to throw this into the pot for discussion or comment, I am not critisising!

In all my years at sea in harbours around the world I have spent many a happy hour watching ships from the decks of my own vessels. In all that time it has become fairly clear that, as a ship sails closely past you, there is invariably very little noise comes from it. I would suggest that the most noticeable noise is usually from medium or high speed diesel generator sets with the main engines producing no discernable sound outside the vessel. I accept they are all individual and pulse scavenge engines will make a slight rumbling from the funnel but, overall there is very little to be heard from even diesel main propulsion engines.

I have also stood next to a steam reciprocating engine as it was running and was surprised at just how quiet it was in comparison to a diesel engine so I really do believe that there would be no sound from a steam reciprocating engine outside the ship. The only noise in the engine room is when operating the reversing gear and opening up the steam again.

So why do we want to make our steam powered models sound so unrealistically loud?

Eddie Lancaster09/05/2021 13:34:55
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi Richard, you are right about the steam engines, having been making them for the past forty years you could hear a bark from the exhaust when pulling my hard, but with a triple expansion engine there would only be a slight mechanical noise from the moving parts and a bit of steam hiss, but fitting a sound unit gives a bit of atmosphere.

Regards.

Eddie.

John W E09/05/2021 15:34:09
276 forum posts
272 photos

The funny thing is Richard, is, when you have finished your watch and you are lying your head on your pillow in your bunk, fast asleep - it is amazing how quickly you wake up when the main engines stop for no reason. Your eyes are open even before you hear the alarm bells ring. The other thing is on your first few nights ashore at home you never sleep for the first couple of nights due to the fact of the silence.

Let me sleep tight to the sound of a Doxford.

John

Edited By John W E on 09/05/2021 15:43:01

Trevor Drabble 109/05/2021 15:50:32
66 forum posts

George , Model Shop Leeds do a steam engine sound module for around £23 . No connection with the company . Trevor.

Colin Bishop09/05/2021 16:25:03
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

A few years back we spent a lot of time travelling around Lake Lucerne on the old paddle steamers. Unless you were actually in the engine space they were pretty much silent. Even then it was just the occasional hiss.

Colin

redpmg09/05/2021 16:52:42
170 forum posts
12 photos

And on the Waverley much more sound from the paddles rather than the engine.........

The only external  loudish  sounds I have heard  locally in the Cape is a tonk tonking from some of the very old single cylinder engined fishing boats and from the twin diesel engined excursion boats - but those only as they get under way. Mostly Caterpillar engined but a couple fitted with Detroit Diesels.

Have one of Craig Talbot's original Action single cylinder diesel sound modules which sounds like the local boats.

Edited By redpmg on 09/05/2021 16:53:56

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor