Forum sponsored by Dremel

Identification

Yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Nash 130/04/2021 16:22:30
5 forum posts
8 photos

I acquired this yacht recently and intend to renovate it iis125cm long I am trying to find some plans or pictures so I can find the correct sails and rigging for this model I have made motor boats from plans in the past but have no experience with yachts any help will be appreciated hope someone can help Ian354990e4-9f04-453d-95b2-1211f05914a3.jpeg

Dave Cooper 601/05/2021 10:33:29
285 forum posts
28 photos

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe the emblem on the transom gives a clue ?

Some careful cleaning perhaps...

Dave

Tim Rowe01/05/2021 12:10:05
546 forum posts
562 photos

Hello Ian and welcome!

Are you in Spain?

I don't know what the yacht is but it looks like a GRP hull that will polish up nicely. It's a kind of stand-off scale and I sure will turn into a lovely working model. It won't be too difficult to rig.

What is the weight, beam and draft as a matter of interest?

Tim R

Dave Cooper 601/05/2021 15:32:16
285 forum posts
28 photos

I can't help thinking it looks a bit "J2" (ish) ?

Old school America's Cup anyone...

Dave

Malcolm Frary02/05/2021 10:15:57
993 forum posts

Rule of thumb for a yacht mast - 150% hull length. So 1.9 metres tall. Or about 6 feet.

In old money, it is about 50 inches long, so "could" be an old Marblehead, or based on one. Before radios were mainstream, racers were solidly built and carried a vane for steering and had a shallow heavy fin. With radios came the lightweight construction and long fins. Not 100% sure which was first.

Currently, there are the Canterbury and Nottingham J class, which are 50" long, weigh 15 pounds and carry IOM rigs and have the shallow fin weight.

Colin Bishop02/05/2021 10:27:20
4875 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

As Dave asks - what does the emblem on the stern say?

Colin

Ian Nash 102/05/2021 10:44:48
5 forum posts
8 photos

Hi everyone thank you for your reply’s I am in Spain Murcia, the beam is 27cm the draft is 16.5cm the weight is 2.147kgs as you can see from the photos I have started to strip it down as I need to veneer the deck whoever constructed the model used ply cross grain and scribed it to form planks the rail posts were made from pop rivets I have the mast but it was inserted in a small block of mahogany the mast is 147cm long. Thank you all again for your input great forum. Regards Ian ps I did reply yesterday it just disappeared I am a bit of a technophobe.

Ian Nash 102/05/2021 10:53:00
5 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Colin it says REAL CLUB NAUTICO GANDIA

Ian

Malcolm Frary03/05/2021 08:30:49
993 forum posts

6 1/2 inches draft and under 5 pounds weight indicates a shelf queen rather than a worker. Any screw holes in the deck could give a clue as to what fittings may have been carried.

Ian Nash 103/05/2021 19:55:54
5 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Malcolm I thought it was to light to be a working model, it was fitted when I got it pop rivets and string as rails. I have no experience with sailing models and I don’t really want a shelf model so I think I will forget the project at least I has renewed my interest in model boats and have been looking through my fathers 1950s Model Maker l have 65 copy’s and have old plans so I think I will start a new project thank you so much for putting me straight Best Regards Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Shrek
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor