By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

How to calculate the scale of my model boat...?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
M Harvey28/04/2021 20:12:23
21 forum posts
14 photos

Can anyone suggest how to calculate the scale of my model boat?

Michael

Colin Bishop28/04/2021 20:49:30
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

The best way would be to use visual clues., For example on a full size vessel the height between the decks would typically be 7 feet or so while the railings would be 45 inches high. You could also estimate the height of a man on board by looking at the doors. If you use each of these measurements as a basis to compare model size with full size and they all come out at around the same figure then you can be reasonably sure you have got it right..

Colin

Richard Simpson29/04/2021 08:04:52
646 forum posts
302 photos

It all depends on what you have to start with. Do you have a model and want to know the scale or do you have a plan that you want to build and want to know the scale? Do you know anything about the real life boat, do you have any specifications or information etc

The bottom line is that the scale is simply a ratio of the size of the real item to the model, when measured in the same units. For instance if you have a real item of 1 foot long and you make a model of it 1 inch long then the scale is 1 ft, or 12 inches to 1 inch, or 1/12th scale.

For your case you need to tell us what information you have but it follows the same theory, it is still a case of a ratio of the same dimension from the real item to the model.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 29/04/2021 08:33:50

ashley needham29/04/2021 08:12:49
7318 forum posts
156 photos

Michael. Just out of interest why do you want to know the scale of your boat?

Ashley

Ray Wood 229/04/2021 08:43:19
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Michael,

It's easier to keep your queries to a single thread as folk on here obviously havn't seen the picture of your ship on your initial post, hence Richards question.

I think your ship is freelance as the rear superstructure is not in proportion with the hull/holds in front of the bridge, could be twice as long to be scale.

Do we know how long your model is ?

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 29/04/2021 08:43:56

ashley needham29/04/2021 08:45:55
7318 forum posts
156 photos

Well spotted Ray (unlike the rest of us).

Agree, the whole ship does not appear to be in scale with itself.

Ashley

Malcolm Frary29/04/2021 10:25:00
1027 forum posts

A starting point would be the stanchions at the bow. A reasonable guess would be about 1 metre high. Then check similar heights elsewhere, such as on or around the superstructure. The lower row of superstructure portholes look suitable for viewing knees, and are probably artistic licence, same with a few other details which might be better lost in a refurb.

If a model crewman looks OK if placed anywhere on the model, it must be to a constant scale, if he is a midget in some places and a giant elsewhere, it isn't.

M Harvey29/04/2021 12:56:35
21 forum posts
14 photos

Thank you all for your replies

I wanted to know the scale of the boat so that I could order some decals for her. I have roughly come to the figure of 1:48. She is 1.3m long.

Sadly I took her to Clapham to test her out yesterday and she started listing and taking on water. So I'm now looking at trying to find out how to waterproof her...

So the saga continues...

Michael

ashley needham29/04/2021 17:21:45
7318 forum posts
156 photos

Whereabouts are you Michael? Bushy park is only 25 mins down the A3 from Clapham. Loads of tame experts with waders on hand for info etc

Ashley

M Harvey29/04/2021 17:36:20
21 forum posts
14 photos

I'm in Brockley, SE4. Where is the pond in Bushy Park? What days are good to visit?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor