Forum sponsored by Dremel

Trying to identify my boat?

Identifying my new boat...?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
M Harvey27/04/2021 10:28:08
21 forum posts
14 photos

I have recently acquired this metal hulled boat and was wondering if anyone might know anything about it?

<https://artofceramics.squarespace.com/modelboat/>

Dave Cooper 628/04/2021 15:16:04
305 forum posts
32 photos

Have you got the correct URL ? This one looks like garbage to me...

Perhaps try and post a photo or two....you'll need to set-up an "Album" first (see the grey band above with the little camera icon alongside).

Good hunting,

Dave C

M Harvey28/04/2021 15:42:54
21 forum posts
14 photos

It is actually my website, but I will upload to an Album as you suggest.

Michael

M Harvey28/04/2021 15:46:36
21 forum posts
14 photos

boat.jpg

Colin Bishop28/04/2021 16:26:51
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

It could be any small freighter of the post war period - assuming it is based on a full sizd ship.

The design is reminiscent of the small passenger cargo ships employed on inter island services etc. in the Far East but that's only a guess.

Colin

Dave Cooper 628/04/2021 17:29:51
305 forum posts
32 photos

Apologies if I insulted your website Michael, but, I do get a lot of broken links and non-working URL's sent to me (20-odd years in IT doesn't help !).

As for the boat - not a clue. I can only assume that as it's metal hulled it may be intended as some form of artistic piece ?

Best regards,

Dave

Colin Bishop28/04/2021 17:50:12
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

The link worked OK!

Colin

M Harvey28/04/2021 18:46:01
21 forum posts
14 photos

I thought it might be for display too, except on opening her up there was a servo fro the rudder, a torpedo 800 motor for the prop and having connected a new transmitter, it all works... I'm looking to re-paint her and get some decals. Any idea on a good source of decals?

Michael

neil howard-pritchard30/04/2021 15:59:22
1916 forum posts
1747 photos

Unless one is trained as a tinsmith, it is very hard to get the acute curves of a ships counter at that size and as such you will always get a "naive" renditioning of the curvature of a plated hull, as "shell plates" are cut to shape to fit the ships frames.

And when laid down on a flat sheet, they will look like the image below.

and this, with a flat piece of tin/metal is very very hard to do in 3d.........thus the bulbous shape of the stern.

However, this is seldom seen when in the water, and who ever made it, made a lovely jb of the superstructure, and should look lovely on the water.

it was probably built from photos rather than plans by a very capable craftsman, but as Colin says, could be made from photos of any number of ships, and so this is an advantage for you.....name it after anyone or any thing you want, as then, those dreaded persons i have little time for..........the "rivet counter", will have nothing to gripe about and tell you that you are wrong.

as long as it pleases you, that is all that matters.

good luck sailing it..........and the last thing i might say is.............it would look and go lovely with a live steam plant in it.

the shell plate diagramme.

shell-expansion-plan-01-1024x457.jpg

neil howard-pritchard30/04/2021 16:00:50
1916 forum posts
1747 photos
Posted by M Harvey on 28/04/2021 18:46:01:

I thought it might be for display too, except on opening her up there was a servo fro the rudder, a torpedo 800 motor for the prop and having connected a new transmitter, it all works... I'm looking to re-paint her and get some decals. Any idea on a good source of decals?

Michael

for decals go to BECC ...........google them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor