Model Boats April 2021

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop07/03/2021 20:26:25
4927 forum posts
6089 photos
408 articles

In the April 2021 issue of Model Boats magazine, don’t miss:

Your chance to WIN OcCre’s superb new Polaris starter kit, plus bonus goodies – a prize package worth over £100

• Our fascinating interview with award winning modeller Olya Batchvarov – prepare to be blown away!
  • Pilgrim’s progress: find out why the design and construction of a 1:32 scale Vivier crabber entirely from scratch offers lots of useful methods and techniques worth pinching!

• Go figure! Encourage more outsiders to take interest in our hobby by becoming more of a people person

• DUKSKI: a simply constructed but lots of fun water-only working model of Russia’s answer to the DUKW, the ZiS 485,
  • DIY Shroud Loom: how to create your own rigging jig for next to nothing
  • Loch Doon: a ‘can do’ project that will also earn you lots of recycling Brownie points
  • Selecting motors and propellers: practical working examples shared and explained

• Boiler room: the next instalment in this helpful guide to soft soldering

• The 1:72 scale Russian multi-purpose Soobrazitelnyy corvette series continues

PLUS

• The latest hobby-related news
  • Your models: brilliant completed projects showcased
  • Your letters: views aired, and information shared
  • Buy the book: latest recommendations for your model boats bookshelf

Empire Parkstone17/03/2021 19:18:49
260 forum posts
8 photos

Mine arrived today not impressed again too much padding not interested in all the look what I made letters. There's Forums for that it'll have ''Like'' tick boxes next

Colin Bishop17/03/2021 19:36:32
4927 forum posts
6089 photos
408 articles

The magazine is dependent on material that people are willing to write. There are no roving reporters. Have you made, or considered making, any contributions yourself?

Colin

Chris E17/03/2021 21:47:53
242 forum posts

Without commenting on Empire Parkstones observations I find it surprising ghat the magazine is entirely passive and simply takes what it is offered.

Surely the magazine wants some say in what it gets and encourages writers to provide it?

ashley needham17/03/2021 22:37:39
7224 forum posts
174 photos

There is no formula for the content of articles in any magazine that will satisfy everyone.

I have seen editorial pleas in the mag before now inviting articles.

Personally I think it’s a good way of getting variety in a magazine by using reader contributed material. No doubt the editor has their say, in what they will or won’t publish at time of submission.

Ashley

Colin Bishop17/03/2021 22:39:31
4927 forum posts
6089 photos
408 articles

Well Chris, could I refer you to page 64 in the December/January issue where our Editor devotes two pages to doing just that - or don't you actually read the magazine?

Colin

Empire Parkstone17/03/2021 23:27:00
260 forum posts
8 photos

No Colin why should I contribute I pay in advance and I don't think it is as good as it should be.

Kev.W17/03/2021 23:56:14
317 forum posts
38 photos

So much negativity, we should be thankful that our magazine is still in print.

It has been a year since we were able to enjoy putting our boats in the wet stuff without restrictions, but there is now a light at the end of the tunnel, maybe when our hobby returns to it's pre covid regularity, there will be a lot more happening at the waters edge, shows & events, to provide the pages with articles.

Chris E18/03/2021 08:20:02
242 forum posts
Posted by Colin Bishop on 17/03/2021 22:39:31:

Well Chris, could I refer you to page 64 in the December/January issue where our Editor devotes two pages to doing just that - or don't you actually read the magazine?

Colin

Yes Colin I do read the magazine and I saw the article but that is only part of the point (although I am very pleased to see them trying to encourage new writers). I can see that getting new writers is a matter of attracting them but with experienced writers, such as yourself, I would have thought that the magazine might ask you if you could write an article on ????? (within your area of expertise) as they would like to feature one in the magazine.

Who had the idea for your motor/models article?

Isn't finding and commissioning material what editors do?

Edited By Chris E on 18/03/2021 08:26:54

Colin Bishop18/03/2021 11:07:37
4927 forum posts
6089 photos
408 articles

EP:

Some of us like to put a bit back into the hobby from which we have derived a lot of enjoyment either by writing for the magazine or sharing information on the forum in return for the help we have been given by others. You have done none of the former and looking at your posts, very little indeed of the latter. You prefer to be a consumer and not a contributor and that is up to you. As a consumer you have a choice though. If you don't like what appears in the magazine then don't buy it! We accept we can't please everyone and that people inevitably have different interests. You can't please all the people all of the time and you can't please some people any of the time it would seem!

Chris E:

Since 2007 my files show that I have contributed around 120 articles to the magazine and in the decades before that very many more which exist only in print form. The vast majority of these pieces were directly commissioned by the editors of the time including the present one. The others would have resulted from suggestions by myself which appealed to the editor who then commissioned an article. There have been only a very few occasions when I have sent an article in on spec. Why spend a lot of time on something that might not be published?

To answer your specific question, Lindsey asked me to put something together on Motors and Props as a result of several emails she had received asking for a simple guide of that nature. She has also asked me for a review of the Greek fishing boat kit featured in the interview she had with Navarino models. The article is only half completed as the model isn't yet finished. I have also been asked to contribute on subjects where I felt that somebody else could do a better job and suggested who might be approached. No doubt I will be asked to do further articles in the future but I spend a lot of time on the Forum, have other interests and like to do a bit of modelling as well!

The other regular writers have been contributing on a similar basis but Lindsey is understandably keen to widen the pool of authors to provide variety whilst still being able to rely upon the regular stable of writers to maintain a core of material avaiable. She certainly isn't sitting there waiting for things to drop into her lap, she is very proactive in mastering a hobby with which she was unfamiliar and had to get up to speed from a standing start. I think she has done an excellent job in the circumstances.

So, all these things you are complaining about are actually happening and the magazine will continue to evolve in response to feedback.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor