By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Dave Milbourn RIP

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cookie07/03/2021 23:57:35
119 forum posts

OMG , I have only just heard of Dave,s passing , he was a great help to me in my early years of model boat building ,I am so sorry and my thoughts go out to his family .RIP Dave

Tony Hadley08/03/2021 15:31:25
913 forum posts
556 photos

Quite a shock to read this thread.

I remember Dave well from the work involved with Colin's 2015 Model Boats Special. His main interest was the Faireys, yet I loved his re-designing and building of Vic Smeed's 'Twinkler' design for the publication. He will certainly be missed in the hobby..

My condolences to the family.

RIP Dave

Colin Bishop10/03/2021 11:25:15
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

I have been informed by Liz that Dave's funeral will be held on Monday 12th April at 1.30pm at the Gedling crematorium.

The videocast link will be posted nearer the time.

Colin

Ian Hull 110/03/2021 12:08:07
1 forum posts

I first met Dave in the 70s when he moved south to join Model Avionics as a designer, his first project was to produce a 46in Fairey Huntsman 31 followed by a smaller version at 34ins I think that's where his interest in the Fairey Marine range of boats started. I can't remember how long he was with us but I know he returned to Nottingham to join HM Revenue, but in his spare time he still carried on doing design work for President Kits which was a spin off from Model Avionics.

Probably little known to a lot of modeler's Dave worked with John Rudd MD of President to help produce a big range of unique slot together Model Aircraft Kits the most famous of which was the foam winged Hi-Boy Trainer that sold in it's thousand's around the world.

I started a modeling company using the established name of Slec in 2000 and would catch up with Dave occasionally to talk about different projects I was working on, and he in turn told me what I should be doing (he was good like that). After seeing a Model Boat plan editorial written by Dave I asked him to design some kits for me, and over the next few years three different Fairey Marine kits where released.

Having now exhausted the Fairey range I managed to persuaded him to finish a Vosper KD Perkasa that I had started although he wasn't keen he started it but moaned at me every time we spoke how he hated doing it, but he still supplied a great set of CAD drawings with instructions and a beautifully finished model which was Dave's trade mark. I picked the finished Perkasa and paperwork up from Dave & Liz's home last November and that was the last time I saw him.

The modeling world has lost a good friend and great designer. I'm glad I met him all those years ago

Rest in Peace mate.

Colin Bishop11/03/2021 10:13:23
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Thanks for that Ian, many people will have been unaware of Dave's backstory. He sent me photos of the Perkasa while he was developing it and despite his protestations that it wasn't really his thing, (too much detail), it was obvious that he was making a superb job of it. I think it will be very popular when it appears. He will certainly live on in his designs.

Colin

Chris Fellows11/03/2021 11:46:13
1016 forum posts
666 photos

Dave's profile also gives other aspects of his history.

Chris

Colin Bishop11/03/2021 12:21:26
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

I hadn't thought to look at that Chris, yes, a potted autobiography of an incredibly talented modeller and designer.

Colin

neil howard-pritchard12/03/2021 01:34:22
1963 forum posts
1815 photos
Posted by Ian Hull 1 on 10/03/2021 12:08:07:

I first met Dave in the 70s when he moved south to join Model Avionics as a designer, his first project was to produce a 46in Fairey Huntsman 31 followed by a smaller version at 34ins I think that's where his interest in the Fairey Marine range of boats started. I can't remember how long he was with us but I know he returned to Nottingham to join HM Revenue, but in his spare time he still carried on doing design work for President Kits which was a spin off from Model Avionics.

Probably little known to a lot of modeler's Dave worked with John Rudd MD of President to help produce a big range of unique slot together Model Aircraft Kits the most famous of which was the foam winged Hi-Boy Trainer that sold in it's thousand's around the world.

I started a modeling company using the established name of Slec in 2000 and would catch up with Dave occasionally to talk about different projects I was working on, and he in turn told me what I should be doing (he was good like that). After seeing a Model Boat plan editorial written by Dave I asked him to design some kits for me, and over the next few years three different Fairey Marine kits where released.

Having now exhausted the Fairey range I managed to persuaded him to finish a Vosper KD Perkasa that I had started although he wasn't keen he started it but moaned at me every time we spoke how he hated doing it, but he still supplied a great set of CAD drawings with instructions and a beautifully finished model which was Dave's trade mark. I picked the finished Perkasa and paperwork up from Dave & Liz's home last November and that was the last time I saw him.

The modeling world has lost a good friend and great designer. I'm glad I met him all those years ago

Rest in Peace mate.

what a beautiful obituary Ian Hull. sadly i only wish i had known him anywhere near as long as yourself.........still cannot believe he has gone..............but never forgotten. a lovely guy to have known. bless him.

Colin Bishop13/03/2021 20:20:48
4988 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Dave's funeral arrangements can be viewed here:

**LINK**

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 13/03/2021 20:21:19

Byron Rees...(Ron)14/03/2021 18:22:26
101 forum posts

I had the pleasure of chatting to Dave a few times about technical stuff. He was an extremely talented electronics wizard as well as a fine modeller. He had a laugh when I showed him a photo of a slimmer me in the water with one of his early large Huntsman models, about 40 years on. That model cemented my love for Fairy Marine boats and I still own three. His passing is another blow which will take some time to get over. He made his mark on the history of Model boating in this country and his name and designs will go on to future boat builders, a suitable epitaph to a great builder and designer. May he rest in peace, all our thoughts go out to his family and close friends at this time.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor