Bob Abell05/03/2021 14:27:32
9334 forum posts
2985 photos

Rest in peace, Dave

Bob Abell

neil howard-pritchard05/03/2021 15:17:47
1933 forum posts
1756 photos

I loved Dave like a brother, and we had many traits in common and would laugh at them together.

I will miss you terribly, especially the abuse you gave me many times Dave, for being so thick and stupid regarding electronics, and also the times when you offered me kindly words of wisdom when life wasn't always running so smoothly.

God bless you mate and RIP.

Eddie Lancaster05/03/2021 19:01:02
849 forum posts
644 photos

I would just like to add my condolences and echo all the feelings expressed in the previous posts.
I did meet Dave and Colin briefly at the last Mayhem meeting at Wicksteed Park, where he was trying out the latest Fairey.
My Huntsman that I built last year will mean even more to me now, and I will remember the help that he gave me even though he must have been quite poorly.

R.I.P. Dave.

Eddie.

neil howard-pritchard05/03/2021 21:30:50
1933 forum posts
1756 photos

if any of you had never met Dave, or didn't know him.........here he was, on the right, in happy times. long may his memory live on.

action 001 (medium) [header].jpg

Colin Miller06/03/2021 07:26:33
73 forum posts
18 photos

I am speechless after reading this.
I always enjoyed having a laugh with Dave when I saw him at the shows.

my thoughts and condolences to liz and the family

redpmg06/03/2021 08:56:26
177 forum posts
17 photos

Very sad news indeed - had been in touch with him over the last year or so - never a mention of anything wrong - always willing to help . He will be sorely missed .- a great loss for the MB community.

Colin please pass on condolences to his wife .

Malcolm Frary06/03/2021 10:07:03
1035 forum posts

The hobby and model boating community has lost a giant.

Deepest condolences to Liz.

Colin Bishop06/03/2021 16:31:42
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

I have just heard from Liz, she says it was lovely to read all the tributes to Dave. His funeral will be live streamed and there will be a video link as well. I will put up the details when I have them.

Colin

neil howard-pritchard07/03/2021 01:00:15
1933 forum posts
1756 photos

thumbs up

Paul T07/03/2021 14:08:37
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Like most of the model boating family have know both Dave and Liz for a long time, I found out early on that he didn't like to burden his friends with his problems.

Whilst a few knew about the cancer we were all sworn to secrecy about it as Dave didn't want sympathy or worse still he didn't want people avoiding him just because they didn't know what to say.

Even though Dave knew that his condition was terminal he kept looking on the bright side and planning his next build. We exchanged emails on a regular basis, I called him Grumpy and he called me Double Doc, both slightly irreverent nicknames but we shared the same slightly warped sense of humour

It was difficult watching him carry on as if everything was normal but I knew that he took a great deal of comfort from his involvement with this forum, where despite being grumpy at times he enjoyed helping others by passing on the fruits of his deep knowledge and experience.

The world is a slightly darker place now but I know that his memory will live on and he will be thought about every time somebody see a model Fairey on the water.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor