Forum sponsored by Dremel

Dave Milbourn RIP

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop05/03/2021 10:48:43
4966 forum posts
6089 photos
410 articles

For the third time this year I am very sad to announce bad news for the model boating community.

Yesterday Dave Milbourn passed away after a long and brave battle with cancer. He was diagnosed as having a terminal condition towards the end of last July but did not wish it to be generally known. He confided in a few people and we have been offering what support we could for him during a very difficult time. I like to think that helped and he obviously appreciated it.

Despite his situation he continued to post on the forums and offer expert advice in his inimitable style for as long as he was able.

I know he was pleased at the way his enthusiasm for Fairey Power Boats was taken up by so many people with a lot of fine models resulting which will be a big part of his legacy to the hobby. We will all miss him.

I have expressed our deepest condolences to his wife Liz who has had a terrible burden to bear over these last few months but at least Dave is now at peace.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 05/03/2021 10:49:57

ashley needham05/03/2021 11:01:29
7318 forum posts
156 photos

Bad news indeed and my condolences to his wife and family.

Hopefully he will be sitting in the saloon of a Fairey power boat in the sky sipping from a tumbler of J.D.

Ashley

Ray Wood 205/03/2021 11:13:07
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi All,

Yes a very sad loss indeed, Dave and I kept in touch via this forum and shared a few laughs via PM's , we never met but I felt I knew him as a friend his model boat and aeroplane designs are a fine lagacy ! we will miss you Dave RIP mate.

Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 05/03/2021 11:14:15

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 05/03/2021 11:14:53

Charles Oates05/03/2021 11:19:27
630 forum posts
51 photos

That's awful news. I'm really going to miss Dave, and all our pms with his great sense of humour. He never stinted at giving help and advice. His contribution to the hobby and so much that's associated with it made him a special and unique guy.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and all his friends that knew him better than I did.

Charles.

John W E05/03/2021 12:03:11
276 forum posts
272 photos

This is the saddest news; Thinking of Liz and his dear family; Dave is going to be such a sad miss.

We had many laughs and shared a lot of modelling stuff. Worked with Dave a good few times at the shows.

Rest in peace my dear friend, I will never forget you.

John

Tim Cooper05/03/2021 12:05:12
440 forum posts
212 photos

Very sad news. He was always very helpful with queries I asked him.

I visited him at his Carlton workshop a couple of times when he repaired a speed controller for me and once at Lambley so I could see his new wooden cabin. I now have one from the same company.

I remember when he owned Action, he ran me about an order I had placed. I had ordered 4 or 5 small switches. He rang to ask if I was using them as motor power switches, if so they were too small and why did I want so many? In the end he sold me one larger switch, as having a spare would be a waste of money.

But as he often said he was from Yorkshire. I shall think of him when I get my Fairey Huntsman in the water.

Tim

gecon05/03/2021 12:05:33
497 forum posts
422 photos

Very sad to read of Dave's passing away. You didn't have to be long on this forum to notice that Dave was a wealth of knowledge. I have often refered to his tech-tips on both electrics and finnishing techniques.

Condolences to his family and friends.

George

Chris Fellows05/03/2021 12:07:39
991 forum posts
643 photos

I was only thinking about him yesterday when working on one of my Fairey builds. Very sad news.

Dave has been a great inspiration to me over the last 3 years or so since I took up the hobby and Faireys in particular and has freely given me advice via the forum and emails and we became friends when myself and my wife visited him and Liz when I bought one of his Huntress prototypes.

As Ray says his contribution to model boats and aircraft over the years has been significant, as has been his articles on building, finishing and electrical. And of course his skills as a model builder.

A great loss and will be sorely missed.

Chris

Fred wooley05/03/2021 12:20:09
22 forum posts

OMG just seen this...what a character Dave was full of life what a sad sad loss RIP

Stavros

Paul T05/03/2021 14:14:38
7334 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

I've been dreading this day as Dave was a very dear friend and unfailingly loyal confidant.

Dave was a great support when I lost Jane and I am forever in his debt for his deep understanding.

He was very easy to wind up and often didn't suffer fools, which always made me wonder why he put up with me as I was always winding him up about the Fairey angle of dangle.

Rest easy Grumpy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor