Chez-When - 34" Sailing Cruiser

Silhouette by Robert Tucker Plan RM86

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 217/02/2021 11:23:16
2546 forum posts
877 photos

chez when article.jpgHi All,

As I hav'nt started a new build this year so far, and having tried in vain to tempt Dave Cooper to build one, I ended up making a start with the bulkheads, She is described in the Radio Modeller in 1971.chez when 2.jpg so here we go again

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster17/02/2021 15:52:52
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Ray, I have just got out my copy of the Chez-When drawings, that is a lot of boat!

I am still working on the two hulls of the IOM Nimrod3, I must post a few pictures of progress.

Regards.

Eddie.

Tim Rowe17/02/2021 16:46:52
570 forum posts
577 photos

Hello Ray and Eddie

Another great subject. I am refurbishing a Boxkite IOM for a friend while he is stuck in the UK. Would love to see some photos of the Nimbus? 3 coming along. Remind us why you are building two. You're not thinking of a catamaran are you??

I am planning an IOM build. A new Frank Russell design called Ellipsis. Click here to see it.

I think Ray should build an IOM (here's a challenge) and if he does I will make him a set of A Rig sails in 50 micron Mylar for evaluation.

Regards to both

Tim R

Ray Wood 218/02/2021 08:07:21
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Tim,

As always a very nice offer of sail making which I will take you up on How are things on the island covid wise? we are still locked down but the numbers are looking better each day and I have my first jab booked for next week.

We are itching to get out of the country for some sun !! but probably not going to be this year

Regards Ray

gecon19/02/2021 05:21:22
527 forum posts
449 photos

This will be another beautiful yacht Ray. Looks nice and spacious, though the cockpit may 'intrude' a bit. Are you going to build the original 'contraption' for sail control -or use a large closed-drum sailwinch?

A large hard chine hull is deffinately attractive compared to hundreds of 'planky-de-planks'.

Do I detect space for a stern tube?

Looking forward to the progress photos.

George

Ray Wood 219/02/2021 08:19:44
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi George,

The contraption on the article may have been the only way back in 71 ?

No, I'm a fan of lever servo winch and a with simple self tacking jib, I like to keep things simple, less to go wrong

I'm more focused upon the removable keel to let her sit on her bilge keels, or just use one of my TS barge keels?

Regards Ray

gecon22/02/2021 07:09:21
527 forum posts
449 photos

You are world famous for your removeable keels Ray! Well, almost.

I expect the keel-design and construction was sorted while you were cutting the bulkheads -or even earlier?

Will Chez-When be white-and-teak or mahogany maybe?

George

Ray Wood 222/02/2021 09:30:03
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi George,

Yes the removable keels are maybe a self inflicted complication to my builds? Actually not sure why I do it, habit I guess, both Wild Duck, Eventide or the cat will probably never have them removed

I think we will find some Mahogany on Chez When, and I fancy grey International deck paint, which means I'm going to spend some serious money !! 1 litre should do

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster22/02/2021 10:28:59
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Ray, I know there is a lot of deck on that boat but, 1 litre of paint?

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 222/02/2021 12:49:00
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Eddie,

Yes rather extreme, but I've been using left overs from full size boating projects for many years and now I've run out of the light blue deck paint so I thought grey would be useful as Veronica's 5 years old and needs the decks repainting, I'm fairly sure 1 litre is the smallest size they do

Let's hope for so good news from Boris tonight !!

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor