Forum sponsored by Dremel

Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter

Possible next project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Cooper 614/03/2021 13:39:02
290 forum posts
29 photos

Sighting shot along the frames. Next step will be to try a stringer or two to see how the lines flow. Slowly getting used to this upside-down way of working !

50% keel and frames.jpg

Dave Cooper 614/03/2021 13:41:23
290 forum posts
29 photos

Stringer lines photos to follow as soon as possible.

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 14/03/2021 13:44:28

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 14/03/2021 13:46:15

Dave Cooper 623/03/2021 11:25:48
290 forum posts
29 photos

Some extra frames and experiments with strength /stiffness and internal access. Rudder may need to be enlarged.

50% frame development.jpg

Ray Wood 223/03/2021 14:15:41
2418 forum posts
849 photos

Hi Dave,

Your bulkhead no.5 needs to be a lot deeper and fuller and no.6,or your boat will be all keel and no hull displacement bouyancy at the stern, IMHO

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 623/03/2021 14:47:06
290 forum posts
29 photos

Hi Ray

Yes, quite agree. No. 5 is also quite flimsy at present and needs a better section definitely.

Not tackled no. 6 yet as the stringer lines aren't flowing as I would like...more work to do ! (This may resolve itself when F5 is corrected).

What about the rudder ? Many full-size lines drawings show it going to (near) full keel depth - I'm inclined to follow suit.

Thrust line for the motor shaft is also a first attempt. I guess this is not so critical as it will be just a small 6v, 'get-you-home' motor.

Cheers for the feedback,

Dave

Dave Cooper 603/04/2021 12:36:20
290 forum posts
29 photos

Ten frames in. Starboard has better profiles than Port at present. Black dots indicate estimated static waterline. Frames 9 &10 are above the w/line. Motor thrust line probably between T1 and T2. Next step a trial 100% frame.

50% ten frames.jpg

Dave Cooper 603/04/2021 12:40:59
290 forum posts
29 photos

From observations of full-size craft, they tend to 'sit' bows up and stern down. There is a 15% scale model of the "Jolie Brise" on Youtube which seems to follow this overall trend.

Dave

Dave Cooper 606/04/2021 22:20:23
290 forum posts
29 photos

Hi All, a quick update on progress :

The first two 'full-size' frames are now in 3mm ply. Decided to stay with the 6mm pine keel for now.

Main waterline stringer line not quite flowing as well as I would like, so, I'll tweak the mid-station frames as I go along to correct this. (Will probably increase hull volume as a side benefit.).

Some good news is that the 42" hull length will fit my standard size building board (also used for model aircraft). Initial thoughts on hull planking are two layers of 1/32 resin-bonded ply strips ? Hoping someone like SLEC can supply these...not yet decided between carvel or double-diagonal planking - any thoughts welcome !

As I'm hand-fretting /shaping the frames, these will probably take about 2 weeks to complete all 10. Photos to follow.

Dave

Ray Wood 207/04/2021 08:41:51
2418 forum posts
849 photos

Hi Dave,

This is the mock up ?? the transom looks quite tiny compared to you drawing you posted and is shown coming down to the waterline and much wider, which would mean you don't need to add the extension to the rudder. The drawing also shows the frames being being convex to no.3 and slightly more concave working to the stern, I think you need a lot more buoyancy in the stern frame shapes to support a 7 - 8 lbs additional keel or ballast in the bilges, Eddie Lancaster has just finished and sailed one of these with a removable 10lbs keel, planking in ply is is not great idea, and SLEC don't sell it in strips.

Sorry to have all these comments but at 40" she will be big and heavy so you want it right

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/04/2021 08:46:54

Dave Cooper 607/04/2021 14:14:58
290 forum posts
29 photos

Thanks for the comments Ray - yep it's the mock-up. Currently having a re-think on a few areas now (frames 6 to 10 especially).

There will probably be some extra buoyancy in the keel 'dead-drop' together with some revised frame profiles and heights. The mock-up is loosely based on "Kindly Light", I think I'm now leaning towards "Jolie Brise" or, "Cours - Apres" ie with fuller hull shape and volume.

With regards planking - do you have any recommendations ? ie Non-ply strip wood, Glass etc. ?

Regards,

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor