Kit or Plan ?

Follows on from and earlier thread on yacht Ardent

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Cooper 619/01/2021 10:56:44
309 forum posts
32 photos

Just pondering on the next project whilst still in Lockdown :

This will be a sailing yacht with an auxiliary motor (inboard or outboard). All previous modelling projects have either been 'own design' or, from a kit...but, not a plan (as far as I can remember).

I'm currently working on a laser-cut, wooden locomotive kit (Xmas present) and have a laser-cut vintage glider kit in the garage. It seems that small parts, joining tongues etc are prone to breakage with laser-cutting. With a plan, of course, you can select your materials carefully with end use in mind.

I don't feel I have enough experience to do a model 'own design' sailing cruiser despite some full-size knowledge.

Many of the kits seem quite pricey ? Just wondering if I can call on the experience of others as I'm all of a dither !

Ray Wood 219/01/2021 11:48:10
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Dave,

The plan for Chez When a model of the Silhouette a 17ft single chine sailing cruiser, the model is 34" long ply construction, I have it on my to build list. It was published in Radio Modeller in December 1971.

My estimate would be £50 for the ply ? Sails say £70 from Nylet ?

The plan is available from SARIK

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 619/01/2021 15:39:19
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Ray

I had a feeling you might come to my rescue !

That model sounds interesting - size is about right, cost estimates ok and I have a liking for Radio Modeller designs (in fact the vintage glider kit is based on "RM404".

I'll look up the plan from SARIK and let you know...

Best regards,

Dave

Ray Wood 220/01/2021 09:31:11
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Dave,

I have the Radio Modeller build article which I bought when I was 16

There are no build pictures as such but useful anyway, an interesting sketch of a screw driven sail control device, back then there weren't any sail winches, I was always happy if you just had steering then !!

If you build the boat I'll send you a photocopy.chez when article.jpg

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 620/01/2021 11:01:51
309 forum posts
32 photos

Cheers Ray - I must say your magazine archives are v.good !

From Sarik's website, the plan is "RM86" and, as per your article, is near scale. I did a Google search on the Silhouette class and it certainly tallies image-wise anyway. (It's from the "X" List, so description but no picture).

Plan cost is a very reasonable £23 which includes an archive search and clean-up of the old masters so they say.

If I decide to go ahead with this one I'd certainly appreciate a copy of the article....many thanks for the offer.

Best regards,

Dave

Dave Cooper 626/01/2021 11:11:52
309 forum posts
32 photos

I've just found some information on the "Loch Broom Post Boat".

It's not a cruiser but has a selection of sail plans and is shallow draught. No kit or plan found as yet....

The manufacturer is Character Boats I think (in the North West). Could be an interesting first sailing project if only as a display model.

The full-size was originally wood (all teak ?), but is now sold as a GRP hull with wood top-sides.

I'll see if I can hunt down some drawings.

Ray Wood 226/01/2021 15:46:43
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Dave,

Here is a photo of the Chez When drawing, I'm tempted myself as she is quite a lot bigger than my current YM Eventide build.

The price has gone up since 1971

Regards Raychez when plan.jpg

Dave Cooper 627/01/2021 11:04:14
309 forum posts
32 photos

That looks interesting Ray - it's quite 'beamy'. I expect a lot of model yachts are like this ?

Definitely on the short list.....got a few other modelling projects to finish first, one glider and one railway, then the yacht.

Best regards,

Dave

Ray Wood 227/01/2021 11:16:46
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Dave

No this is not a model yacht, it's a replica of the full size cruiser hence the beam, but still a great boat to model

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor