Forum sponsored by Dremel

Free to good home - Model Thames Sailing Barge

Wooden Thames Sailing Barge

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Anne Cadwallader11/01/2021 17:27:16
6 forum posts
1 photos

I am happy to give my Father's beloved Thames Sailing Barge to anyone who could offer it a good home. Please respond so I can provide my email address privately and arrange collection or how to get it to you safely. It's important to me that the receiver genuinely wants the boat which my Father cherished. Annedads thames sailing barge.jpg

ashley needham12/01/2021 11:05:23
7395 forum posts
159 photos

Hi Anne. You are not alone in trying to get unused and cherished boats to a new home.

It may help if you were say roughly where you live, as it’s no good someone fancying the boat if you are in Cornwall and they are in Scotland.

I myself have recently “rescued” a large destroyer, which fortunately lived a mere 8 miles away from me.

Ashley

Kev.W12/01/2021 11:13:24
326 forum posts
38 photos

I would like to help this boat survive, but as Ashley states, it depends where it is currently berthed, if by chance it is anywhere within 50 miles of Lincoln, I would be willing to collect or meet & give her a new home.

Just finished my latest 'rescue', it's now awaiting sea trials.

dsc_0004.jpg

Edited By Kip Woods on 12/01/2021 11:18:07

Anne Cadwallader12/01/2021 11:48:09
6 forum posts
1 photos

Well, I can beat all that as I live in Belfast! I would imagine postage or delivery of some kind from here would be prohibitively expensive, although I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount. I'll go and check to find out what kind of charge there would be to get it to the Lincoln area and let you know here. I do occasionally travel to GB (Harwich) by road and ferry so the best thing might be to wait until then, although Covid means this could be later in 2021.

Colin Bishop12/01/2021 11:59:01
4989 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Safely packing and delivering a model like that by courier would be very risky.

Colin

Anne Cadwallader12/01/2021 12:54:40
6 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for the warning.

Kev.W12/01/2021 15:05:55
326 forum posts
38 photos

I would hate to think what damage would occur in the hands of a courier, plus the cost would be an 'arm & a leg'.

If someone nearer you took up the offer it would be better, but if not, I could meet you somewhere near Leicester, on your visit to Harwich later in the year if your route takes you near there.

I really would advise against letting a third party transport it.

Colin Bishop12/01/2021 15:18:41
4989 forum posts
6114 photos
412 articles

Yes, as Kip says, assume that you have to pack it securely enough to withstand being dropped, tossed around or crushed under other packages. Impossible really. Also insurance is useless as if it does get damaged, who will mend it? All you would get is a nominal payout.

Much better to wait until you can deliver it yourself.

Colin

Ray Wood 212/01/2021 16:10:24
2547 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Anne,

Are there any Maritime Heritage Museums in Northern Ireland who would be glad to put it on display ?

I have passed on various old family railway artifacts to preserved railways, saves my kids putting them in the skip !!

Kind Regards

Ray

neil howard-pritchard25/03/2021 20:05:21
1963 forum posts
1815 photos

hello Anne...........i dont want it myself, but if you know anyone who sails regularly on the Stena line ships from Belfast to either Heysham or Liverpool and could bring it over, i would pick it up from either of those two ports for the cost of fuel from fleetwood and then store it until someone wants it...........if that is any good to anyone.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor