Forum sponsored by Dremel

Veron Veronica and Radio Control

Lifelong project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Latham08/01/2021 11:23:00
8 forum posts
3 photos

I started building this boat so long ago that I can't remember when. It's never been afloat although substantially finished apart from the radio control which was never a part of the original kit.

I have bought a Planet TS2 + 2 2.4GHz a £10 sail winch and a servo for the rudder. I have fitted it out and the rudder is working ok. The sail winch is fitted midship with a single line to the end of the boom. The problem I have encountered is that the servo goes back to its home position as soon as I let go of the gimbal. This lets the main sheet run out. That's ok when running down wind but not so good for beating. I need a servo that stops where it is moved to!!

Any help welcome.

Dave Milbourn08/01/2021 17:02:47
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Alan

By "letting go of the gimbal" do you mean that the Tx stick is spring-loaded to its centre point? If so then the solution is easy - remove the back of the Tx case and change the self-centring spring to a ratchet. Only 'continuous rotation' servos will carry on moving when the stick is stationary. Net cost is nothing.

Dave M

ashley needham08/01/2021 17:35:54
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Alan. The 2+2 has two extra channels. The knob one (top left) may be just the thing, as it will stay at whatever position you leave it in.

Ashley

Alan Latham09/01/2021 08:13:30
8 forum posts
3 photos

Dave and Ashley thanks for the information, I will investigate and let you know how I get on.

Alan

Malcolm Frary09/01/2021 10:51:12
943 forum posts

Modern sail winches are proportional, they position themselves according to the position of the controlling stick. This is why most yotties prefer to use a ratchet stick for the sail control. Saves wear and tear on the left thumb.

If the rotary knob that Ashley mentioned is a proportional channel, it will do the job OK.

Using a single line usually means having an elastic line tensioner to ensure that the unwinding drum does not leave a pile of slack line which will tie itself round anything available. Unshrouded drums wrap the line under the drum, shrouded ones find other things to tie the line to.

ashley needham09/01/2021 11:01:57
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Yes the knob should be ok, it appears to be simply a rotary “stick” that holds its place.

Ashley

Alan Latham09/01/2021 11:06:51
8 forum posts
3 photos

I went for Ashley's suggestion and switched to channel 4. It is doing the job on the bench. I wondered what the extra 2 channels might be used for.

I might try a ratchet solution one day but a bit concerned about voiding the warranty.

I have a shrouded winch and it is working quite well on the bench. I know from my dinghy sailing days that main sheets can get caught up in all manner of places. better have a think about that one. My rudder controls are above deck because radio control was an afterthought. Maybe a housing?

Alan

Tim Rowe09/01/2021 11:26:43
454 forum posts
458 photos

Hi Alan

Can you show us some photos.

I am a big fan of model sailing yachts.

Tim R

Colin Bishop09/01/2021 11:43:34
4756 forum posts
6078 photos
403 articles

To be honest, I'm not sure just how much the warranties are worth on budget radio gear from China. They are usually reliable enough though. If you bought from someone like Howes Models you would have some recourse but spares are not always available.

Colin

Dave Milbourn09/01/2021 12:38:39
4025 forum posts
282 photos

A stick ratchet set is available via Perkins' outlets Planet TS 2+2 ratchet set. Fitting one should therefore be within the terms of the warranty. I bought a TS2+2 for a SLEC Police Launch - it's a nice little radio for a model boat and the two additional controls would be useful for say lights and a winch servo or davits. One is proportional via a rotary knob and the other is a 3-position switch.

I remember once having a used car warranty described to me as "concrete". The salesman then said "that means it's valid as long as it stays on our forecourt..."

Dave M

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor