2021 Builds during lockdowns

What have you been building and current projects

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop05/01/2021 12:12:31
5194 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Richard, Miltiades won't be very heavy. The model is just 39 inches long and 4.5 inches in the beam..

Colin

Ray Wood 205/01/2021 12:58:48
2847 forum posts
993 photos

Hi All,

We are all modellers at the end of the day, this was my Christmas build

Takes me back to being 10 years old in 1965

Regards Raykk lysander dec 20.jpg

Richard Simpson05/01/2021 13:19:03
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Lovely job Ray, reminds me of building a rubber band powered model with my Dad as a youngster. We once took it to a field and had a play for a couple of hours and could not work out why it was going round in a big circle and coming back to us. Then we realised that we hadn't attached the wing perfectly centrally, which was well worth knowing for future flights!

I take it you are going to cover it but are you going traditional with doped tissue or are you going to use the more modern heat shrink covering film?

Richard Simpson05/01/2021 13:29:00
1027 forum posts
256 photos

I've been building a gasworks now for about a year and a half to fill in a back corner of the layout. I'm not too far off finishing but then comes the complicated bit of fitting it to the layout at a bit of a stretch, and then fitting the points to graft it into the layout track.

p1070562.jpg

p1070563.jpg

p1070564.jpg

p1070568 (1).jpg

Richard Simpson05/01/2021 13:29:59
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Couple more

p1070569.jpg

p1070572.jpg

p1070575.jpg

timg05/01/2021 13:35:10
47 forum posts
24 photos

Thanks Colin

I need to get it finished, believe it or not I have quite a few other models that need finishing as well..

Hi Ray

Nice model, will it be a static model ?

Cheers

Tim

Ray Wood 205/01/2021 15:26:58
2847 forum posts
993 photos

Hi Richard,

What a super layout, the great thing about a railway there are so many things to do, and is a layout ever finished?

The Lysander may be covered at some stage with tissue & doped, it was more of a dexterity test with all that 1/16" square balsa, they were always marginal flyers !

Tim,

I will probably hang it up in my workshop it may live longer that way I'm a bit of a hoarder I probably have another dozen various Keil Kraft kits, they just take me back the catalogues which were like the modellers bible and the things of dreams.

Regards Ray

Colin Miller05/01/2021 19:34:21
73 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks everyone for the kind comments,

Colin family friends of my wife have a small fishing boat similar to the one you are building for catching catfish in Hungary. I have always wondered about doing a liner/cargo vessel like that but never really took the plunge

Tim, I like the small tug something different than the usual ones you see and you can make it your own too by adding your own ideas

Ray, Lysanders are great are you going to get it up or just static?

Richard, a very nice layout there do you take it anywhere or is it just for yourself?

Richard Simpson05/01/2021 22:31:28
1027 forum posts
256 photos

Thanks Ray, I agree, it will never be finished! If I can get a reasonable area of it done I will be happy.

Colin, the layout is a permanent home based layout, I'm very lucky to have a spare room above what used to be a garage so I arranged the layout to be around the room with the staircase rising up into it. I then avoid the crawling underneath to get into the centre or the lifting flap type of arrangement.

Andy F06/01/2021 02:19:22
56 forum posts
101 photos

As a relative (re)newcomer to the world of model boats, I don't have much to say other than this will be my latest project:

roberts.jpg

RN Roberts Class Monitor in 1/144 scale. Should be fun.

In the meantime, if we're delving into other hobbies, this is what I've been working on for the past 3 years or so. A semi ficticious village on the Moray Firth in Scotland in N gauge:

001.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

014.jpg

008.jpg005.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor