2021 Builds during lockdowns

What have you been building and current projects

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop04/01/2021 18:27:43
4890 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

This is a general thread for snapshots of our projects this winter while we wait for better times as suggested by Ray.

I will kick off with mine.

1. Carrying on with my Edwardian liner model Miltiades.

miltiades sample (2).jpg

miltiades sample (1).jpg

2. And my Chania Greek fishing boat kit from Navarino Models of Greece. I have now planked the deck but no photo yet.

chania boat (1).jpg

chania boat (2).jpg

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 04/01/2021 18:28:30

Colin Miller04/01/2021 23:51:08
71 forum posts
18 photos

I have been working on my US Coastguard Cutter Bertholf

it’s getting almost complete not long until it’s done and the next one is on the bench

fbd2f53c-8cae-4432-b629-e59ad600bf4f.jpeg

96eb69b8-f84e-49c5-a9ef-2f54f84cec21.jpeg

1f1ec804-ffb7-4e9e-951f-495e094a8d7d.jpeg

0ab98bf1-0bd4-4c7e-9dd3-b474b655914f.jpeg

neil howard-pritchard05/01/2021 01:54:54
1775 forum posts
1432 photos

lovely models Colin and Colin.

its lovely to see unusual and interesting different models being built. i still have my lifeboat to build and my friends lifeboat to finish........but then i am stumped.

i have been given a kit of the new Metcalf Models Liverpool class lifeboat which i designed 16 years ago, and would dearly love to build that.

however a friend has developed lines for a very unusual tug which i want to build and fit a Cheddar Gemini steam plant in to. that another friend gave to me some time ago as long as i put it into a working model and sail it, and as he was staff coxs'n on the lifeboat i did some crew training on years ago with intent of joining before i stupidly married and moved out of town, i think i owe him that one.................and i really am looking forward to building.

so maybe that model first...........something unusual, but can't say what, until my friend has built his model at a larger scale.

but, i think 2021 will keep me busy and out of trouble, lol.

Richard Simpson05/01/2021 08:50:36
341 forum posts
148 photos

Beautiful models from Colin and Colin, both unusual subjects and both superbly built by traditional craftsmen.

I'm looking forward to seeing your lifeboat-tug coming together Neil, particularly regarding that fantastic steam plant you have for it. I'm always available for any assistance you might need to help get it together.

As for myself I'm afraid all my time recently has been put into model railway related activities so the question for Colin has to be "Do you only want model boat projects?"

Colin Bishop05/01/2021 09:57:15
4890 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

No problems Richard. I think we all appreciate other areas of modelling besides model boating.

Colin

Ray Wood 205/01/2021 10:18:13
2377 forum posts
831 photos

Hi Colin,

Your liner is great and will need quite an amount of ballast to get down to her marks ? the ships are so majestic from that era, masses of derricks etc?

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop05/01/2021 10:35:57
4890 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

Yes Ray, ships in those days were very deep draughted. I had to check the scale very carefully but I had the National Maritime Museum plans (on photos) and the official statistics to draw upon. Once the centre superstructure is on it will look more in proportion. There is an interesting article on the ship and her sister Marathon here:

**LINK**

The ships were later lengthened and a second (dummy) funnel added but they stil looked good. Some of the NMM plans show the inserted central section. I preferred the original design but Robert Wilson has posted photos of his miniature of Marathon in her lenghenrd form.

Colin

Richard Simpson05/01/2021 10:56:36
341 forum posts
148 photos

Colin she reminds me very much of the General Havelock, built by Bryan Young a few years ago from nothing more than a profile in a book. Sadly Bryan's eyes started to fade quite significantly to the point whereby he had to give up modelling so I consider myself to be very lucky to have bought the model from him.

Back to the stability question, Bryan had stripped the internals so when I first sat her on the water she wanted to completely fall over and I was lucky I didn't let go! It took a lot of weight to get her to sit down at her marks and by then she was getting a bit heavy. I decided that the best way to ballast her would be to use two 7ah lead acid batteries but the project got shelved and she has sat on the shelf for a few years now. Lovely looking ship on the water though!

img_2234.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 05/01/2021 10:58:17

timg05/01/2021 11:49:43
35 forum posts
15 photos

Hi All
Nice looking models in the posts above , I have spent some of my time repainting my model of River Star (metcalf mouldings kit) and adding lights ,slowly getting there

Hopefully pic attached

20210105_114536.jpg
Cheers
Tim

Colin Bishop05/01/2021 12:00:21
4890 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

That looks a neat job Tim, an interesting subject.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor