Forum sponsored by Dremel

Sea rider

Leander class frigate easy build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rich Griff 101/01/2021 13:19:40
41 forum posts
2 photos

Many many years ago ( 1976ish ) I remember watching a BBC program, model world. I program I watched may have been a repeat and featured the chuck glider. I think I missed the model boat one.

Anyways in 1990ish a friend had a book stale in the seaside town where we both lived. He had a plan for the boat, Vic Smeed Sea Rider.

I made one from scrap ( very limited funds at the time ) which was enjoyable, and I sailed it in the local harbour "grave yard lagoon" which was real fun ( you never knew if you would have to go for a swim or not! ) and a bit of a crowd pleaser.

Another local was watching and eventually asked how much I wanted for it, minus the cheap 2channel 27mg radio gear inside. He offered a price I just could not resist as the sum would finance my modeling bent.

I considered making a twice size on but on measurement, it would not fit in the bath, so settled for 1 1/2 size instead.

Pic here

It's dead easy to make and pleasing in all respects.

As said i made them all from scrap materials from skips and fruit and veg market stall rubbish, the boxes had hardboard ends in those days.

540 type buggy motor, 40mm 2 blade prop but 3 blade better when static.

Anyone else make one?

I can photo copy A3 so you could make your own plan and boat.😊

Having problem with camera so no pics yet, but the hull is a basic box with a sharp end, and a 'kick up" blunt stern. The large model has 6inch beam and about 45inch long, it fits in a bath up a double scale 60inch will not.

Edited By Rich Griff 1 on 01/01/2021 13:50:31

Charles Oates01/01/2021 16:52:39
638 forum posts
52 photos

That was a popular first build at the time, and in my view, would still be a great first model today.

Images of the plan can be seen on google, and some of the tv series with the wonderful Bob Symes, are on you tube. Have fun with your model.

Rich Griff 101/01/2021 19:28:42
41 forum posts
2 photos

Hope this works you can see the simple box type hull, which is smallish on the 30 inch but cavenouse on the 45inch.

Will try a pic of one I have and show internals as well. As stated money was short at the time ( poverty is the real mother of invention ) so I made as much as possible myself. The f/n/r switch was made by Me, a simple change of polarity switch, bang bang type. No expensive speed controller etc..

img_20210101_162218_3cs.jpg

Rich Griff 102/01/2021 21:40:27
41 forum posts
2 photos

See my photo album for more details.

If anyone would like a photocopy of the plan ( A3 X 8 sheets ) let me know.

It's real easy to make and a dry boat.

I may have one for sail/sale.

Dave Cooper 606/01/2021 22:27:06
309 forum posts
32 photos

Hello Rich

It may be worth checking on ebay for a boxed set of the "Model World" series. I saw one the other day but was a bit too late getting a bid in...

There is a 'sister' series as well called "Model Magic". Again by the late, great Bob Symes.

I remember the Leander class frigates from my Navy days, although I was an "Airy Fairy" (Fleet Air Arm) !

Regards and keep modelling,

Dave C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor