By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

flexible propeller shafts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jeffrey mundell 131/12/2020 15:50:15
26 forum posts

i am just starting on a model boat with twin Korts nozzles,which i purchused from MMJ and very nice mouldings indeed,as the korts have to be mounted in horizonal position and motors are quite high up in hull i think it would be best for a pair of flexable shafts,but where can i obtain some?

the model is a American pusher tug of 750mm size

Has anyone any thoughts on this matter

regards Jeff

jeffrey mundell 131/12/2020 15:53:58
26 forum posts

Just a tought the Korts were purchused from MMJ, not the tug which i am scratch building

Jeff

ashley needham31/12/2020 19:15:59
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Jeffrey. Flexishafts are really meant for racing boats which have motors forward, to keep the prop line flat.

They require a lot of maintenance, as the wire wound drive is not rustproof and ideally needs stripping, drying and re-greasing after every run. Usually this means loosening the solid coupling grub screw or collet, and withdrawing the shaft rearward.

Cant say that I have heard of flexis being used in a tug, but I may be horribly WRONG!

I would think that a small downwards angle should not be that detrimental to the Kort? Also, why are the motors so high? Normally something you would install low down.

Ashley.

Charles Oates31/12/2020 20:40:52
597 forum posts
50 photos

Hi Jeffrey, yes the korts need to be horizontal, but there is no practical reason why the props and shafts cant be angled, it's what I and hundreds of others do. Normally we just adjust the motor and shaft layout in the hull to give as flat an angle as is practical, remembering to position the motor and coupling where they can be easily accessed for maintenance.

Like Ashley, I've never heard of flexies being used in a sedate model, all that messing about in a delicate scale model wouldn't be for me.

Charles

Malcolm Frary01/01/2021 09:40:13
944 forum posts

Tugs do need reverse, flex shafts tend to unwind themselves in reverse, so they don't get used on tugs.

Chris E01/01/2021 09:59:33
198 forum posts
Posted by Malcolm Frary on 01/01/2021 09:40:13:

Tugs do need reverse, flex shafts tend to unwind themselves in reverse, so they don't get used on tugs.

Agreed. Never use flexible shafts if you need reverse which you most certainly do with a tug.

I am not familiar with MMJ, and thus clearly not your model, but with a tug hull it is normally possible to mount the motors quite low. Yours must be the exception.

Edited By Chris E on 01/01/2021 10:03:42

Charles Oates01/01/2021 10:20:04
597 forum posts
50 photos

Hi again, as you can see, people on here would all like to help. I suggest you post some pictures, this might make a big difference to the advice you get. If you haven't posted pictures before, go to all topics, and look at the item on posting pictures.

Charles.

jeffrey mundell 102/01/2021 15:08:44
26 forum posts

many thanks for your replies,i did not relise that with the kort mounted horizonal the prop inside could be at an angle very slightly,as this was pointed out in the post by Charles Oates ,so this has solved the problem.

all have a happy and good New Year

Jeff

live in New Malden

Charles Oates02/01/2021 15:28:10
597 forum posts
50 photos

Perhaps this will help.

img_20210102_162330_9~2.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor