By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Sarik Styrene Hulls

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris E20/12/2020 14:44:17
226 forum posts

What thickness styrene are Sarik Hulls drawn from?

I have seen a couple of ABS (???) German kit hulls recently which seemed very flimsy to me. I don't think that they used to be like that.

Fred wooley20/12/2020 15:56:31
22 forum posts

Ive had a look at those hulls at show yes they seem thin BUT tbh if you add bulkhead with lite ply inside them i cna see a problem at all

Fred

Colin Bishop20/12/2020 16:56:56
4875 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

Some small kit GRP hulls can also be pretty thin but as said above, once you get the supporting framework in they are usually OK. Fitting the deck will turn them into a sort of open box section which gives rigidity.

Colin

Chris E20/12/2020 18:14:50
226 forum posts

I don't like things that flex unnecessarily.

I would still like to know how thick the styrene sheet used by Sarik is before it is drawn. The flat surplus around the edge of the moulding is the thickness of the sheet.

Colin Bishop20/12/2020 18:50:12
4875 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

That could be a moving feast Chris. As the styrene hulls are pressed out the thickness will vary in different places depending on how the plastic is stressed when it is warmed up and pressed over the plug.

If you look at my feature article on the Model Slipway on here:

**LINK**

You can see in the first few images examples of the plug and the styrene pressings. The article explains the process. The plastic tends to be thinned around sharp corners.

Colin

Chris E20/12/2020 20:26:44
226 forum posts
Posted by Colin Bishop on 20/12/2020 18:50:12:

That could be a moving feast Chris. As the styrene hulls are pressed out the thickness will vary in different places depending on how the plastic is stressed when it is warmed up and pressed over the plug...............

Colin

That is why I asked about the thickness of the base plate. from which the hull is pressed.

Colin Bishop20/12/2020 20:39:38
4875 forum posts
6087 photos
407 articles

Well, I think you'd need to ask Sarik really. I doubt if anybody on here will have measured the thicknesses.

Colin

David Marks 120/12/2020 21:09:42
255 forum posts
44 photos

I have built the tug Plaudit from a vac formed hull purchased from Sarik. No idea of the thickness but certainly thick enough not to distort, especially when considering that the area most likely to flex/distort is where the batteries sit.

neil howard-pritchard20/12/2020 23:22:03
1768 forum posts
1426 photos

i have just bought on ebay a Graupner RAU IX whaler.

it is a hips [ abs] hull, and is a replacement for one i built in 1980 and then gave to a work mates 10 year old son as a gift....his mum had just died from cancer, and my mate and i thought it might give him an object of light relief.

i remember building it in 1981/2 and it was flimsy until i put in all the formers, stretchers and bulkheads, when the whole hull becomes very sturdy and rigid.

Nothing wrong with an ABS hull if it is braced properly, and i look forward to my second build of my RAU IX later next year.

neil howard-pritchard20/12/2020 23:35:02
1768 forum posts
1426 photos

normally, depending on the depth of the "tool" that the plastic is stretched over when heated to a floppy constituency, a 3mm plastic sheet will end up as a 2mm thick plastic hull.

i used to use vac formers in the latter part of my teaching career with kids in CDT lessons and we always taught the kids that on average the form would be reduced by about 30% of its original thickness.

that is usually the standard loss of thickness in a moulding.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Shrek
Nylet
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor