Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

ac75 Ineos yacht

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham05/12/2020 17:03:26
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Look up ac75 Ineos on you rube. Wow...more like spaceship that boat.

it has two front foils and these can lift so that it reaches on just one leg and the rear foil.

Stunning.

Ashley

Charles Oates05/12/2020 23:31:59
597 forum posts
50 photos

I've just had a look, expecting just a fancy yacht, how wrong could I be. That is the most fantastic thing I've ever seen on the water. The speed, turns, sails/ wings, foils, control etc etc defy belief, it's phenomenal. Big thanks Ashley for posting that.

Charles.

Ray Wood 206/12/2020 20:15:59
2232 forum posts
777 photos

Hi Ashley,

I'm not sure if it's sailing or flying or a combination of both ??

But I do know one of the lads on the crew Seb Greber he was a cadet sailing cats at Pevensey Bay Sailing club 10 years ago when I still sailed real boats So he is used to going fast !! but that's taking it to the next level

Regards Ray

Malcolm Frary07/12/2020 10:03:28
943 forum posts

While "ye cannae brek they la's a physics"* it is amazing how far they bend.

I can't really see them being mainstream working models anytime soon, but then, who knows?

*Montgomery Scott

ashley needham07/12/2020 15:33:58
6920 forum posts
201 photos

I think the issue would be getting the foils to work quick enough, as a model would flip flop very quickly with slightest change in wind.

The video shows the sticky-up foil to windward coming down very quickly, for something that weighs 1.5 tons.

it also says the boats weigh 6-7 tons....whereas a traditional boat of similar size would be 30 tons. Just incredible.

I think they might say something about generating power, but the foil hydraulics are battery powered, and onehopes they would last for a race (before the low voltage alarm starts bleeping)...

Ashley

Malcolm Frary08/12/2020 10:39:11
943 forum posts

It's a point that gets plenty of mention at the poolside. A real yacht has somebody on board feeling what is happening, and they have their reaction time to what they sense is going on, usually preventing a disaster. Foilers, almost by definition, to get their performance, are seeing how close they can get to the edge of disaster, and need very fast reactions from the crew to avoid it.

Even if it doesn't have a full size equivalent, a model sailboat can be considered "scale" - it is operating a "scaled" conditions, which usually involve squares an square roots. A 1:25 model gives you about 1/5th the time to react, and your indication is not feeling the boat, it is seeing what the boat is doing at a distance.

In earlier AC events, everything had to be purely muscle powered, what with it being a sort of athletic event. I have gathered, right or wrong, that the trend has been to have a squad of "grinders" - muscle bound athletes whose task is to continuously work pumps which are capable of building up and storing hydraulic pressure. A feasible way to give rapid handling of sizeable masses.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor