Forum sponsored by Dremel

polarity of servo wires

change polarity

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
neil howard-pritchard30/11/2020 14:46:45
1625 forum posts
1059 photos

is it possible to change the polarity of one servo so that it turns in the opposite direction when linked to a "Y" harness.

reason i ask is i have two servos at the stern of my Tyne class lifeboat operating the two trim tabs that keep the boat level when sailing.

the servos have only one direction of travel for the tabs and that is a 45 degree downwards movement to lower the tabs.

the starboard one works fine, but the port servo, with exactly same directional movement of the axis, when turned around to port in the cradle, lifts the tab, this making it inoperable without major surgery to the cradle.

last night i took the one that operated in the wrong direction and joined it to the one that works correctly and joined black to red and red to black........but this stopped both from working through the receiver.

the only way i can do it is by switching polarity of the one turning in wrong direction via my transmitter, but that means using two channels of the tx and rx, which i don't want to do.........am confused enough as it is, lol.

any help gratefully appreciated.

img_7316.jpg

ashley needham30/11/2020 15:37:59
6920 forum posts
201 photos

Get a servo reverser? Easy option?...

Ashley

Colin Bishop30/11/2020 15:42:52
4756 forum posts
6078 photos
403 articles

Servo reverser:

**LINK**

Colin

Dave Milbourn30/11/2020 16:24:18
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Neil

NEVER EVER try to change the rotation of a servo by swapping the red and black wires. Inside that gizmo is an amplifier and logic circuit which depends on the correct polarity for its operation. Get that wrong and you will kill it. Colin and Ashley have the answer for less than a fiver.

Dave M

neil howard-pritchard30/11/2020 16:55:05
1625 forum posts
1059 photos

i thought i would get a rollocking off you dave...... you know my skills and abundant knowledge of electrickery, lol

and always thank you for doing so mate...

and thanks Colin and Ashley..........Someone on facebook pointed these things out to me as i didn't know they existed, so have ordered two and a few Y harnesss too, hope they do the trick.

cheers to you all. just charging the batteries now on a few radio sets for me to play with..........something i haven't done for a long while.......but quite surprised that they all still have some charge in the batteries.

Malcolm Frary01/12/2020 09:34:44
943 forum posts

I have heard tell of servos that do have reversed logic, at a price. It is also possible to create one by taking the servo apart, reversing the motor connections AND transposing the two outer connections to the pot. The servo reverser is by far the simplest and cheapest option, and the most likely to work.

neil howard-pritchard01/12/2020 13:05:56
1625 forum posts
1059 photos

Cheers Malcolm........some on their way as we speak.

Tim Cooper01/12/2020 14:06:29
394 forum posts
171 photos

Neil

I had a similar situation on my Graupner Bernhard Gruben model. Two servos work together to lift and lower the stern gate for launching the small rescue boat. In this case the two servos were set up on either side of the hull , and with the servo arm on the right of the servo, when looking toward the bow. This meant that the servos operated together from one channel with a y lead.

Tim

Robert Foreman 101/12/2020 20:00:56
2 forum posts

You can reverse an analogue servo, but you will need a small soldering iron.

After taking the case to pieces:

1) swap over the two wires attached to the motor

2) locate the potentiometer usually connected to the output shaft. This will have 3 wires attached, swap over the two outer wires

Job done !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor