Forum sponsored by Dremel

Fittings For 1/12 RNLI Arun

Scale Fittings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Nugent22/11/2020 18:33:39
10 forum posts
3 photos

I am looking at purchasing the hull, deck, wheelhouse and plans for the RNLI Arun rescue bost from Mount Fleet Models. How difficult will it be for me to get the 1/12 fittings? I have 3 3d prints so I know I can print some but would rather go with metal.

I am also looking at the 72-inch version of the RNLI Clyde. Not sure what this scale will be? Any help figuring out the scale based on the length?

Thank you all

Mark Nugent22/11/2020 18:38:04
10 forum posts
3 photos

the measurements for the life size Clyde is 71 feet by 18 feet. Anyone want to try and figure out the length, width and scale using these numbers? I am not good with these type of figures.

Colin Bishop22/11/2020 19:18:01
4711 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

Macs Mouldings do a number of RNLI 1:12 scale fittings but they are in resin. Still good though.

**LINK**

The Clyde might be rather more difficult...

Colin

Chris Fellows22/11/2020 19:28:46
809 forum posts
532 photos

That's an easy one Mark. Call the full-size one 72 feet and that gives a scale of 1:12 and therefore the width is 18 inches.

That will be a big heavy model!

Chris

Mark Nugent22/11/2020 19:35:44
10 forum posts
3 photos

That will be a big sucker. I have found an amazing site for 1/12 fittings. They actually have a special section for RNLI large scale models. Macsmouldings. I will have to build some type of transportation cart from my truck to the water.

Mark Nugent22/11/2020 19:36:40
10 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Colin and Chris. What are you building?

Colin Bishop22/11/2020 19:53:56
4711 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

Mark,

Martin at Macs Moudings is very helpful and his fittings are excellent quality.

What am I building? At the moment SS Miltiades a 1903 liner on the UK Australia trade as built with a sigle funnel. Model will be 1:150 scale.

**LINK**

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 22/11/2020 19:54:27

Mark Nugent22/11/2020 20:08:18
10 forum posts
3 photos

Wow. That looks like a difficult model. Are you scratch building it? How long will a model like this take you from start to finish?

Colin Bishop22/11/2020 20:17:51
4711 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

Yes, scratch building using a 1:1200 waterline plan, photos of the builder's model that used to be on display in the London Science Museum plus photos I took of the builder's plans at the National Maritime Museum archives at Woolwich.

It's all a bit of a jigsaw but I'm getting there slowly. It will take as long as it takes!

It will be a unique model anyway.

Colin

neil howard-pritchard22/12/2020 01:43:31
1576 forum posts
948 photos

MARK, i made the actual moulds for the Clyde class lifeboat some years ago and they are accurate for one of the 3 boats only.......70-002 Grace Paterson Ritchie. the other two boats 70-001 Charles H Barrett and 70 - 003 City of Bristol were both slightly different to GPR and to each other...........but the hull cabin, flying bridge, fore companion way were grp mouldings.

However, i gave them to metcalf mouldings, who passed them on to Models by Design, who eventually sold them to Mountfleet Models.

i did make a full set of rubber moulds for moulding resin fittings and for personal reasons sold all of those moulds for fittings to Adrian Gosling at Speedline models for 2 pints of diet coke..

i would suggest you contact Adrian and ask him if he still has those fittings moulds and if so, run a set off for you.

hope this helps you.but beware.they need an incedible amount of ballast, and very large motors to power them,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor