Forum sponsored by Dremel

Model Boats December 2020/January 2021

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop20/11/2020 20:26:04
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

The cover and contents of the latest issue of Model Boats can now be seen on the website front page. On sale 27th November.

Colin

Don't miss our FREE PLAN, two fabulous PRIZE DRAWS, an exciting NEW TOOLING announcement, loads of fascinating feature length articles, some very lively debate and lots, lots more!

• A FREE PLAN for Mini Mist, along with an illustrated guide to building this charming little 15-inch boat
  • Prize Draw No. 1: WIN Navarino Models’ superbly crafted 1:72 scale Brockley Combe kit, worth €340
  • Prize Draw No. 2: WIN a cool new set from Revell featuring an easy-click 1:600 scale RMS Titanic and 3D Iceberg puzzle, RRP £49.99
  • Plunder like a pirate! We explore the products and materials up for grabs in other sectors of the hobby market, starting, in Part I, with a bounty of plastic modelling and dolls’ house booty
  • Ayr time: an historic Amble paddle tug scratch built by adapting a former MB free pFast Electric racing: how to get started, what to expect and the etiquette to be observed
  • Transferable tech: details of how to repurpose an R/C model helicopter esc to achieve both forward and reverse control in a small plastic model boat kit conversion
  • Saint Brendan, Part 2: find out how this gorgeous Galway hooker performs on completion
  • Boiler Room: setting up oscillator control valves simplified
  • Soobrazitelnyy: the next instalment in our highly detailed 1:72 scale Russian multi-purpose Soobrazitelnyy corvette series
  • All that glistens: reflections on a pretty, if imperfect Christmas R/C present from Christmas past
  • What’s your story? MB’s Ed appeals for budding writers to step forward and provides some (hopefully, helpful) feature writing guidelines

PLUS

• Compass 360: latest news, including the announcement of exciting new tooling for a 1:72 scale World War I U-Boat
  • Auction News: if you’re wondering if you’ve perhaps got ‘cash in the attic’, check out some of the prices realised when the gavel fell at SAS’s October Toys for the Collector sale
  • Your Letters: the pages where views are aired (prepare for some lively debate!) and information is both sought and shared.
  • Your Models: join us as we celebrate achievements at this everyone’s welcome launch party!

Lindsey Amrani

Editor

Chris E21/11/2020 09:13:39
247 forum posts

For anybody interested in Brockley Combe there are some lovely pictures here which can only add to the Model Boats review. It appears to be a model of real character although I am not a total fan of the weathering on the review model...

Brockley Combe Review/ Pictures

Edited By Chris E on 21/11/2020 09:37:35

Colin Bishop21/11/2020 10:08:25
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

I have bought the Chaniotiki Gaita fishing boat kit after seeing it in the MB article. It will be a Christmas present. I have often admired thise colourful boats while in Greece.

**LINK**

Although intended as a static model I may investigate the possibility of motorising it with an off centre prop and shaft.

Colin

Adrian Tullett21/11/2020 20:13:55
17 forum posts

Have I missed something, has the magazine gone Bi-monthly?

Or is this a one off?

Colin Bishop21/11/2020 20:26:48
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

No it hasn't gone bi monthly. The current issue was delayed to take account of the Covid shut down. I'm told that the next issue will be February 2021 and published on January 8th. There are logistical issues!

However the Winter Special 13th issue is now likely to be dropped for 2021.

We continue to live in uncertain times but hopefiully things will otherwise continue as normal through 2021.

Colin

Adrian Tullett21/11/2020 20:36:39
17 forum posts

Thanks for the update.

The team behind the magazine are to be applauded to produce such a good quality magazine given the unusual circumstances we presently find ourselves in.

Looking forward to it arriving.

Regards

Ade

The Long Build21/11/2020 20:38:16
747 forum posts
281 photos

So potentially only 11 Magazines for 2021 ?.

And before anyone says anything, that is fine but it would be nice to be told by the Company rather than by finding things out 2nd hand on a public forum!!.

Edited By The Long Build on 21/11/2020 20:40:13

Colin Bishop21/11/2020 20:41:54
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

Yes, things are difficult in all sorts of ways but hopefully the magazine will get through this. Fingers crossed everyone!

Colin

Colin Bishop21/11/2020 22:06:36
4961 forum posts
6110 photos
411 articles

Sorry Larry, why does dropping of 13th Winter Special equal 11 issues? It's 12 surely? The month label is not necessarily significant..

But I agree that what actually happens will be determined by likely sales and the more subscriptions the better..

People seem to be looking for a degree of certainty that is really very difficult to give in the present situation.

Basically if sales income exceeds costs then the magazine will continue if not then the publishers are not a charity.

We would all like to have certainty for the future but realistically that simply cannot be guaranteed.. The future of the magazine is basically in the hands of its customers.

Times are hard, there are no guarantees. I am hopeful that the magazine will continue under Lindsey's editorship with the support of contributors accepting much reduced page rates. They have the best interests of the hobby at heart and I would hope their efforts are appreciated as opposed to those who take a more negative view.

Colin

The Long Build21/11/2020 23:04:38
747 forum posts
281 photos

Hi Colin

Despite the December issue being sold as December 20 / January 21 in reality it is just the December issue and as such no real January issue is being published, you then say that the next issue will be in February and assuming that thereafter there will be a regular monthly issue it will only be 11. Even in 1998 and 1999 when J Cundell was editor and for some reason they chose to actually date issues eg 1st May to the 28th May and then 29th May to the 25th June etc there were still 12 issues in 98 and 13 ! in 99 although the December issue was never numbered.( Would be interesting to know why it was done this way at that time ).

Larry.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor