Forum sponsored by Dremel

Tempted by a big Fairey

Precedent Fairey 31 1/8th scale

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gecon11/11/2020 21:47:54
273 forum posts
244 photos

I see that there is a part built 1/8th scale Precedent Fairey 31 kit for sale on the web in Norway. It must be pretty old and it looks shabby in the advert photos. The hull is built and is covered in what looks like lots of filler. Price £100

Any comments on quality of the old Precedent Fairey kit? One photo shows the rest of the box content including what looks like mahogany sheet. This one was certainly intended for IC power so I suppose needs a big brushless thingy and a dose of Lipo to make it move. Not really my thing but I have wondered about the kit kit quality......is it smarter to go for a new SLEC kit?

George

ashley needham12/11/2020 08:46:09
6845 forum posts
200 photos

George. How much is the SLEC kit? ..oops just looked it up....189...

you really don’t know what you are buying with old part finished kits....should a well built kit have lots of filler ??

might be lucky, or not, for the price

Ashley

Ray Wood 212/11/2020 08:46:44
2176 forum posts
760 photos

Hi George,

I wouldn't bother with somebody else's work, and £100 is rather steep, I had one of the original Modav 1/8th scale kits 45 years ago they are bloomin big ! , The SLEC kits now are in a different league these days

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop12/11/2020 10:10:32
4708 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

I go along with Ashley and Ray. Put your money into a new build rather than a 'doer upper'. Finishing other people's part built models can be very frustrating. Often with kits a lot of the bits or the instructions are missing and if it is old then the materials may have warped or distorted.

Treat yourself!

Colin

Chris Fellows12/11/2020 10:14:27
808 forum posts
528 photos

Hi George

I wondered about the filler as well. Some around the bow would be acceptable if balsa blocks had been used (though not part of the Precedent build instructions) and so would be wary of it being used elsewhere unless it's for filling grain.

I found mine too big, particularly moving around the house, up and down stairs etc. and sold it to a fellow club member who already has one. They look good on the water (and smaller!) and it goes very well now having been fitted with a brushless motor.

Chris

img_0368.jpg

ashley needham12/11/2020 11:01:53
6845 forum posts
200 photos

I must say that these big cabin cruisers are very voluminous, compared to the same length warship for instance.

My 48 inch Fantome doesn’t get much use and takes up a lot of space. I should see how much they go for!

Ashley

gecon12/11/2020 12:38:56
273 forum posts
244 photos

Many thanks to all for the inputs. I have spent some time this morning 'zooming in' on the advert photos. Does not look particularily enticing.... and the wood MUST be old seeing that it's a Precedent kit.

The SLEC CNC cut kits are probably super in comparison but...just remembered one of the new admiralty regulations.... "no built-up hulls allowed in the kitchen". Hmmm...have to start building up som brownie points before Christmas.....how do you switch on a vacuum cleaner?

George

Dave Milbourn12/11/2020 13:41:07
4025 forum posts
282 photos

George

There's always the SLEC 1/16 scale Huntsman 31...Huntsman 31 1/16 scale

Kit details

Dave M

gecon13/11/2020 05:14:30
273 forum posts
244 photos

Hi Dave,

yes I did look at the SLEC "Fairey's" couple of days ago. 1/16 scale is a little small for my environment in Norway. There are no dedicated 'boating ponds' available -as there are natural lakes everywhere! These lakes have usually waves to the equivalent scale of a force 6 -except when they're frozen! Models need to be around the 1 metre size -and have a bit of displacement so they don't bob about like a champagne cork.

I do however acknowledge that boats around 120cm are not so easy to lug around. Particularily if there's also a 160cm mast -or two- on deck! I owned a 46" Sea Queen with a 22cc Ohlson petrol engine -donkey's years ago. But then I was young and keen AND living in the UK.

It may well be that 1-metre yachts with a lot of weight well below the waterline are best suited to my environment.

George

Chris Fellows13/11/2020 10:47:55
808 forum posts
528 photos

Hi George

Precedent also did a 1:11 scale at 34" version which would be ideal, in both timber and GRP hulls, which come up from time to time.

Or do as I'm doing, scratch build one at 1:12, 31". There are plans available though I drew my own to suit my method of building.

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Shrek
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor