By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Is Model Boats Magazine Going to 12 Issues per Year?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris E19/10/2020 20:48:16
168 forum posts

Model Boats Magazine has always been 13 issues per year which means a 4 week gap between magazines.

I note that the November issue (30th October) is scheduled to be 5 weeks after the October issue (25th September) and if they then go back to the 4 week interval we will be getting an issue on Christmas Day 25th December surprise.

Subscriptions are still 13 issues but the occasional 5 week interval is used by 12 issue magazines to fill the year.

I wonder what, if anything, is going on.

Ray Wood 231/10/2020 14:30:13
2167 forum posts
756 photos

Hi Chris,

As nobody responded to this post it's fairly obvious nobody else cares. Well 110 people who didn't comment !

Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 31/10/2020 14:33:56

Chris E31/10/2020 15:49:21
168 forum posts
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 31/10/2020 14:30:13:

Hi Chris,

As nobody responded to this post it's fairly obvious nobody else cares. Well 110 people who didn't comment !

Ray

Apparently not..

Chris E17/11/2020 09:44:34
168 forum posts

Whilst nobody is apparently interested I note that there was a 5 week gap between the October and November issues and there is now to be a 5 week gap between the November & December (3 December) issues. 13 issues within a year looks very unlikely.

I appreciate that Covid is making life difficult but given that we are told that the staff of the magazine is effectively one person full time + 1 part time, both of whom could work from home, I am not sure what is going on or why.

Perhaps we just need to be pleased that anything is being published and forget previous rules for the time being.

Colin Bishop17/11/2020 10:14:53
4708 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

I don't think people are not interested, they simply understand the problems.

As already said, tjhere isn't a Winter Special this year, hence the extended publication gaps this Autumn. I believe (but don't quote me) that the present intention is to return to 13 issues for 2021 but obviously that could depend on the impact of lockdowns on newstrade sales etc. The editors and designers have been working from home for many years now but sale receipts have to cover salary and production costs etc. It's pretty straightforward really.

I'm sure we'd all like some certainty ona lot of things but we live in uncertain times at the moment.

Colin

Richard Simpson17/11/2020 12:19:50
156 forum posts
95 photos

I think most of us are simply appreciative of the fact that there is a magazine on the shelves at all. I don't think readers are not interested that there are only going to be 12 this year rather than 13, I just think there are far more serious things to be concerned about at the moment.

The staff required to publish the magazine is only a part of the equation, not much of which adds up to a profitable publication at the moment. We are now down to only a single model boat magazine in this country to read so I would suggest that we look at that as positively as possible and support it as best we can.

Charles Oates17/11/2020 16:40:38
593 forum posts
50 photos

Well said Richard, on every point. I agree very much that support is all important, buying, subscribing and contributing to the magazine are the keys to it's survival and growth.

Charles

The Long Build17/11/2020 16:53:44
713 forum posts
270 photos

I agree to a point , however I do think that TM need to be a bit more forth coming with information, If they are only going to produce 12 this year then say so , but all the places they advertise, Ie The Mag, on here and face book they are clearly saying you will get 13 issues a year and that is in the latest editions. so I am sorry but that is wrong if they knowingly do to not intend to print 13. I do understand the current situation but they are not helping matters, and some people may, I hope not, but they may stop subscribing because of that.

Colin Bishop17/11/2020 20:01:53
4708 forum posts
6077 photos
402 articles

Well, the magazine was suspended for part of the year so obviously not 12 issues.in 2020 but the intention seems to be 13 issues for 2021. It can only be an intention at this point for obvious reasons.and will depend on whether the revamped business model will bring in sufficient revenue over expenses to allow this to be done. Just like many thousands of other businesses which are struggling to stay afloat in the curent situation.

Obviously if people just buy the occasional issue when they see it as and when it it takes their fancy, subject to lockdowns etc., then there is less likelihood of it happening than if they take out subscriptions which help bolster the finances.

It's not rocket science. The covid restrictions have resulted in an enormous drop in newstrade sales and income so the magazine is largely surviving on subscriptions and by cutting costs including massive reductions in contributor payments.

If people stop subscribing because they doubt the intentions of the company they they are simply helping to make matters worse.

Colin

Richard Simpson17/11/2020 20:23:04
156 forum posts
95 photos
Posted by The Long Build on 17/11/2020 16:53:44:

I agree to a point , however I do think that TM need to be a bit more forth coming with information, If they are only going to produce 12 this year then say so , but all the places they advertise, Ie The Mag, on here and face book they are clearly saying you will get 13 issues a year and that is in the latest editions. so I am sorry but that is wrong if they knowingly do to not intend to print 13. I do understand the current situation but they are not helping matters, and some people may, I hope not, but they may stop subscribing because of that.

So have you sent a message to the editor making that point? People always seem quick to criticise via the internet without taking the time to first point out the error to the appropriate person to give them the opportunity to respond.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor