1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George Norman18/09/2020 15:40:54
54 forum posts
228 photos

Hello all,

My first post on here!

Just worried I might just give this the kiss of death with a build log going from past experience but here goes for Nothing!

This will be my 3rd boat build ever. I was lucky enough to get this for the big 50 last month and have done a few small bits here and there, mostly outside as this yoke is quite large and unwieldly to move about in the Cabin I normally work inside!

Lot of study was done on some forums of other peoples builds so I am not a pioneer and lucky enough to piggy back on some other fine build logs of this kit and will unashamedly use some of their ideas in my build.

Some picture are below as are of the progress as of yesterday .So Far I have managed to attached the Skeg and rudder, some of the inside supports for the deck, the motor, Shaft and battery tray.

For the paint Scheme I have yet to decide if it will be overall grey or a disruptive blue and grey colour scheme to add that bit more visual interest.

img_6443.jpgimg_6441.jpgimg_6440.jpgHimg_6438.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 18/09/2020 15:42:23

Tim Rowe18/09/2020 18:56:14
564 forum posts
577 photos

Welcome

All that lovely green stuff and the boat's pretty good too!

Tim R

Colin Bishop18/09/2020 19:03:14
4927 forum posts
6089 photos
408 articles

It does make up into an impressive model but you need to take care with the weight distribution as it has a reputation of being a bit 'tender' otherwise. Motor and battery weights must be kept as low as possible in the hull. A 'stick' type NiMH battery pack will achieve this.

Colin

George Norman18/09/2020 21:52:25
54 forum posts
228 photos

Thanks Colin and Tim,

I'll be sticking a foggy unit in it and lights so will power those with a large 12V Lead Acid Battery and another for the propulsion. They will also help with the ballast weight.

Yes the rain over in Ireland Helps the Grass colour, needs a cut next!

neil howard-pritchard23/09/2020 01:04:42
1800 forum posts
1483 photos

i think you'll find that your armed trawler is 1;32 scale, not 1;48th.

but they make great sailing models,

I have built the St Nectan, much modified, and she sailed beautifully.

George Norman23/09/2020 08:26:49
54 forum posts
228 photos

Tks Neil for that, Not sure I can change the header now! :/

Colin Bishop23/09/2020 14:58:08
4927 forum posts
6089 photos
408 articles

Heading changed! Keep posting George.

Colin

George Norman25/09/2020 15:02:58
54 forum posts
228 photos

Thanks Colin for changing the header, the last build I done was 1/48 so still hung over from that one!

Any how bit more progress on this, I manage to pare down the deck to fit and then I work on the foredeck. I noticed that the Boat sides are not symmetrical, there is about a 5mm shortness on one side, you can see the ruler here placed by the strengthening supports and you can clearly see the difference. I cant do much with that so I just adjusted the side of the Bulwark rise to take make it nice and square. I am happy with that now. Just need to cut an opening now on the mail deck and for the Servo hatch. I hope to get some electronics next and a speaker from Action Leccy along with some Plasticard for some battery trays.

img_6620 (2).jpgimg_6621.jpgimg_6622.jpgimg_6625.jpg

George Norman26/09/2020 20:59:28
54 forum posts
228 photos

Evening all,

After having solved that earlier problem solved I popped out to the shed thinking to cut the deck access hatch out, A simple procedure but looking at the superstructure the lower part on one side has splayed out, might of been taken out of the mold too early. I am not sure how to fix this, It might have to be surgery with a saw, cut and reset the side or a brace internally but given the hatch combing a brace won't be low enough to pull the sides in.

img_6630 (2).jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 26/09/2020 21:25:51

Colin Bishop26/09/2020 21:29:10
4927 forum posts
6089 photos
408 articles

Try warming it with a hair dryer and push it back to shape when hot and allow to cool. That sometimes works I have found.. GRP mouldings can be quite malleable if warmed up.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor